Intel Unite® App
Gain crucial understandings of the Intel Unite® App
Announcements
This product has been discontinued. This board is currently read only and no longer accepting new posts. Learn more
459 Discussions

Why are hubs moving out of groups without manual intervention?

TBain1
Beginner

We have our Intel Unite 4.0 server and 4 hubs up and running. We have created a group for our hubs and assigned a configuration to the group.

This has worked well for us but we notice that the hubs are moving back to the 'root' (i.e. out of the group) and therefore getting the default policies instead of the ones for the group. We can move the hubs back into the group and all will be well for a couple of days and then one will pop back up to the default area again. We've seen it happen with all of our hubs at some point.

I'm looking to see if the move events are related to client connections, hub restarts, server issues (e.g. IIS appPool recycle). While I continue investigations, I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has seen this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TBain1 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Are noticing any settings changes on the in the HUB devices when the get out of the group? Please provide me with the logs files from the HUB and the server following these steps: The Server saves the files at the following location: "C:\Users\IntelUniteWebApiPool\AppData\LocalTemp" Files name are the following: "IntelUniteServerLog.txt", "IntelUniteTransactionLog.txt" and "UniteServerLog.txt". On the Clients and Hubs the log is created by default and is called "Unite.sql", the mention file can be located on "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp". This file is a SQLite database, and it can be opened with any SQL Client but the DB Browser for SQLite is recommended. On the table "Logging" you will find all the data generated by the application. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TBain1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo

Thanks for this !

We noticed that the default policies were being applied when the hubs moved out of the group. So, we’ve applied our group configuration at the default/root level so that the configuration is now consistent whether a machine is in the group or up one level. That does mean that we cannot have different configuration policies and we have a couple of groups that might want different configurations (so we really need the hubs to stay put).

Thanks also for the information on the debug. I’ve struggled without success to put the hub in debug mode based on information here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024124/software/software-applications.html. So this information is really, really useful.

I have a monitor that queries the unite_server database every 10 minutes looking for moved machines and I got a hit between 10:33am and 10:43am so I can send you log files with a 10 minute interval to inspect.

What is the best way to send you the files?

Trevor

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TBain1 Thank you for the update I am going to sent you an E-mail for you to provide me with the log files requested. Please also provide me with the following details about your environment: • What is the Intel Unite® version on the environment? (Server, HUB, clients). • Is the Intel Unite® database installed on the same Intel Unite® server or a different server? • Is there any maintenance related tasks around the database such as backup deployments? • For how long has this problem been happening? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TBain1 Thank you for the information about you environment and the detail about the behavior that you are having allow me to investigate the case, I will be posting back as soon as news become available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TBain1 Thank you for waiting. Can you try completing the update of Intel Unite® from version 4.0.949.40 to version 4.0.3190.18? I will send you a private e-mail with the download information. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TBain1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo

I have updated the server and hubs to 4.0.3190.18 as recommended. We rebooted the clients and logged in on the hub machines. All hub machines have Intel Unite configured to launch at login. Intel Unite starts on the hubs and all of the hubs moved back to the root after startup. We also notice that the server admin console is still showing the all hubs at version 4.0.991.430 when we can confirm the hubs are all updated to 4.0.3190.18.

Let me know if you would like logs from this morning.

Trevor

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TBain1 Thank you for the update on the behavior. Yes, please provide me with the Intel Unite® server and HUBs log files after the updates. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos