AI Tools from Intel
Find answers to your toolkit installation, configuration, and get-started questions.

How to use XGBoost on IntelGPUs via OneAPI

Knoxort
Beginner

From the oneAPI 2021.2 release page, XGBoost is now supported on GPU. Is there any documentations or examples on how to run an XGBoost example on an intel GPU? From what I can tell, it would either be changing the target of a oneAPI XGBoost python example to the GPU instead of the CPU, or converting a CPP-CUDA XGBoost example to DPC++ using the conversion tool.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums. We are checking on this internally, we'll get back to you.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi,

I am the engineer that has been investigating your issue. Since XGBoost GPU support is still in development and available in AI Kit as more of a experimental feature, there are not many resources available for it yet. As GPU support becomes more ready for customer adoption, expect a lot more resources, which are already in planning.

For right now, you can review the contents of the following repo for XGBoost plugin GPU support (which has been upstreamed to XGBoost in Intel Python and AI Kit) as development continues:

https://github.com/vepifanov/xgboost/blob/dpcpp_backend_1.3.3/plugin/updater_oneapi/README.md

In addition, you can manually set the execution device by changing following parameters:

param[‘device_id’] = -1 # -1 is default one (usually GPU). 0, 1, … - index in the list of available devices

param[‘verbosity’] = 3 # to see the full list of available devices

Let me know if this resolves you issue.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi Rahul,

Has your issue been resolved? If you do not respond within 2 business days, I will assume your support request is resolved and you no longer need assistance.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

This issue has been closed and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos