Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
418 Discussions

Compatibility with MSVC on Windows

CarlS
Beginner

I cam coming from an installed base of MSVC (command line) and Intel FORTRAN on Windows, and Gcc/Clang and Intel FORTRAN on Linux.

I would like to switch to Intel compilers not least of which is compatibility across O/Ss.

I would like to use VS Code as my pseudo IDE... again compatibility. ( I found two VS Code OneAPI plugins ... thumbs up)

The question is can I use "dpcpp" compiler to create MSVC compatible libraries? ( I believe I could do this with the older "icc" compiler)

Would using "dpcpp" instead if "icc" would give us growth potential, that would be lacking in "icc"

Thanks and regards

Carl

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Carl,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

>>>The question is can I use "dpcpp" compiler to create MSVC compatible libraries?

Could you please elaborate more on what you meant by MSVC compatible libraries? If possible can you give us an example?

>>>Would using "dpcpp" instead if "icc" would give us growth potential, that would be lacking in "icc"

It totally depends on the scenario/task where you wanted to use the compiler(DPCPP or ICC).

ICC (Linux), ICL (Windows) are classic Intel C/C++ Compilers. Whereas, ICX and DPCPP are Intel's new compilers based on LLVM technology plus Intel proprietary optimizations and code generation.

• You may use classic compilers (ICC/ICL) for performance on CPU targets.
  • ICX/DPCPP enables Heterogeneous Development across CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs

Please refer to the below links for more information

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/porting-guide-for-icc-users-to-dpcpp-or-icx.html

Get Started with the Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-dpcpp-compiler/top.html

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
CarlS
Beginner

Absolutely I can provide more info, thanks for the reply.

Today we use libraries as provided by bintray, developed by folks like bincrafters.  ( Bintray uses Conan for package distribution, https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneMKL uses Conan) 

For example: https://bintray.com/search?query=bincrafters

Those prebuild libs are published with the compiler version and options used.

The question is then which Intel compilers produce code that would be compatible with the published libs. Now granted I could rebuild ALL the libs, but lets just say that is a LOT of work.

Does that answer the question?

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info.

>>> can I use "dpcpp" compiler to create MSVC compatible libraries

We don't officially support the concept of linking a library build with any other compiler using Intel dpc++ compiler. However, if the flags which are used in compiling/creating those libs have equivalent flags in dpcpp as well. So, it totally depends on which libs you intended to use with dpcpp. 

>>>Those prebuild libs are published with the compiler version and options used.

In your case, to answer the above question, could you please provide more information about the prebuild libs which you are referring to? And also provide the compiler version and options used in creating those libs. So that we can investigate more on your query.

And meanwhile, If possible could you please try using those prebuild libs with your code using dpcpp compiler and let us know if you face any errors.

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Carl,

Reminder: Could you please share the above mentioned details.

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
CSlat2
Beginner

Not sure what to add here. I am going to try the compiler in the next couple of weeks. Until then I wont know for sure.

I will be trying it on a Github open source project so I will share the results here.

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Carl,

>>>I am going to try the compiler in the next couple of weeks.

As you will be trying it in the next couple of weeks, we will be closing this thread here for now. Please feel free to open a new thread once you have the results and we will be happy to help you there.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos