Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.

Device API for random number generator

Weiqun_Z_
Beginner

Does oneAPI have GPU device API for random number generator?  I understand I can build an engine for a GPU device queue and call `mkl::rng::generate` on the host to generate a number of random numbers.  But I would like to be able to call a function to generate random numbers on the fly in a GPU device function.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

With oneMKL, using mkl::rng::generate, random number generation happens on the device(callable from host) but there's no device specific API as such to generate random numbers on the fly. 

We will escalate this to the concerned team as a feature request. Thanks for the question.

--Rahul

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Hi,

I have raised this issue to the Engineering as a feature request. I will let you know once we get the updates.

Regards,

Subarna

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Hi,

This issue is fixed is Beta08. Please try and let us know if you are facing any issues.

Regards,

Subarna

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi,

Thanks for your patience. The issue raised by you has been fixed in the latest oneMKL version. Please download the latest oneAPI 2021.2 and let us know your experience with it.

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Please let us know your feedback after testing the latest version.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi,

We are closing this thread as the issue has been resolved in the latest version.

We will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos