Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.

Does oneAPI support csh?

afelt
Novice

There used to be a script to source when using csh/tcsh for the previous versions of the Intel compiler but the current version doesn't seem to come with a setvars.csh. Is csh/tcsh support planned?

Also, I see a post to this point was deleted but still found by Google which I would point out has led me to need to ask this question in duplicate.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

">>Is csh/tcsh support planned?"

Currently, GNU bash is the only shell supported. However, we will discuss this with the concerned internal team and we will get back to you soon.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-oneapi-base-toolkit-system-requirements.html

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

I apologize for the delay, we are working internally regarding your query. We will get back to you soon.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

Could you please try the below command for sourcing the setvars.sh

# oneAPI setvars.sh use in csh/tcsh

bash -c 'source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh ; exec csh'

For more details refer to the below link.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-C-Compiler/How-to-use-zsh-csh-or-tcsh-with-oneAPI-setvars-sh-vars-sh-or/m-p/1227218/thread-id/37878

Please let us know if this helps.

Have a Good day.

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

Reminder: Could you please let us know whether your issue is resolved and if we can close this thread.

Thanks

Goutham

0 Kudos
afelt
Novice

This allows me to interactively source the script, but how would one do this in a resource file/shell initialization file? For example, within a ~/.tcshrc.

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

>>" how would one do this in a resource file/shell initialization file? For example, within a ~/.tcshrc."

Could you please try adding the above-mentioned command at the end of the ~/.tchrc file and let us know if you face any issues.

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
afelt
Novice

This causes an infinite loop of opening tcsh as each instance of "exec tcsh" will cause ~/.tcshrc to be re-sourced. If it is modified to "exec tcsh -f" it won't source this twice, but with a partially configured shell. A better solution can probably be devised to detect that we are on the second iteration of the "login loop" this creates and I will post back if I get a second to Google-jitsu up a method.

0 Kudos
afelt
Novice

Okay, I came up with a quick method that is working.

Contents of ~/.tcshrc

if ( ! $?intel_sourced ) then

setenv intel_sourced "yes"

bash -c "source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh; exec tcsh"

endif

<rest of ~/.tcshrc here>
0 Kudos
afelt
Novice

This seems to disrupt scp/sftp etc. I don't suggest this solution yet.... Best would be an Intel-provided setvars.csh.

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

>>"This seems to disrupt scp/sftp etc. I don't suggest this solution yet.... Best would be an Intel-provided setvars.csh."

We are in discussion with the internal team, and we will get back to you soon regarding the same.

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Aaron,

I apologize for the delay.

>>"This seems to disrupt scp/sftp etc. I don't suggest this solution yet.... Best would be an Intel-provided setvars.csh."

We have raised it with the development team. It might be implemented in the future release but at this moment, it is difficult to mention any timeline for it.

Could you please confirm whether we have answered all your queries? If yes, let us know if we can close this thread from our end.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi,

As we have not heard back from you, we are considering that your issue has been resolved and we have answered all your queries. So we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only 

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
tomeq
Beginner

I am another user that would welcome the csh/tcsh version of the setvars script. It would avoid a hassle of using a separate bash window for compiling the code.

0 Kudos
GARGA
Beginner

No the issue is not resolved... I am getting constant error like the attached screenshot .

i have done this 

please tell me if the team has included setvars.csh file with the latest version (Version: 2021.3
Date: June 21, 2021)   now or not. otherwise I can not risk my data plan to download it. Please reply as soon as possible

kissane__john
Beginner

Same request from me, I just installed the current oneapi compiler & see it only provides a bash version of the setvars script. The version we've been using until now provided both a csh & sh version of scripts to set variables eg. iccvars.csh & iccvars.sh

It would seem like a small effort to provide so again rather than expect users to write their own.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ben_barrowes
Beginner

I also need a csh/tcsh version of setvars. Right now, I execute this manually at the beginning of every shell I want to use oneapi in:

0 Kudos
mwolf
Beginner

I am another user.  Given the cost of this package, it seems a bit ridiculous that the "team" cannot support csh/tcsh.  As of the 2023.1 version, this support is still missing.  the above command generates an error (setenv: Too many arguments).  Any chance support is planned?

0 Kudos