Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
419 Discussions

Dpcpp link error after upgrade from 2021.1 to 2021.2

Tse__Amon
Beginner

Hello,

I just upgraded from OneAPI dpcpp from 2021.1 to 2021.2. My codes that worked previously with 2021.1 now failed in 2021.2 with link error:

InvalidModule: Invalid SPIR-V module: Casts from private/local/global address space are allowed only to generic

llvm-foreach:
[build] dpcpp: error: llvm-spirv command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

The code that fails is related to OpenCL interoperability. 

Is there any hint about the root cause of this link error message?

Thank you in advance for your kind opinions. Regards,

Amon

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Please give us an small reproducer so as to get a more insight into your issue and do let us know your environment details to reproduce the same errors.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Tse__Amon
Beginner

Hello,

I have had struggled several times to trim down my source code to a program that could reproduce the issue but I still fail to make it.

However, I have some observations that can share:

• it happens at llvm code generation during linking
  • it is not related to source code using OpenCL API (correction of my statement in my initial post). It is related to the C++ template code with template class generation. Something similar to the code below:
foo.h:
template<typename T> class foo { ... };

foo.cpp:
#include "foo.h"
// it seems this way to generate the code for particular types triggers the issue
template class foo<float>;
template class foo<double>;

main.cpp:
#include "foo.h"
void main() { foo<float> f; }
  • The issue happens if foo.cpp is first compiled as static library and linked with main.o. [Note: it is a pattern I observed where the issue happens; such a simple program does not reproduce the issue I mentioned! ]
  • I also observed another pattern, similar to something below. I solved the issue by replacing static std::vector<std::string> as inline std::array<std::string_view, ...>.
foo.h:
template<typename T> class foo { static std::vector<std::string> v };
// the issue seems solved if the above line is changed to
// template<typename T> class foo { static std::array<std::string_view, 1> v = {"foo"}; };

foo.cpp:
#include "foo.h"
template<typename T> std::vector<std::string> foo::v = { "foo"; }
// remove the above line if the vector is replaced by inline std::array in foo.h
template class foo<float>;
template class foo<double>;

main.cpp:
#include "foo.h"
void main() { foo<float> f; }

Again the issue happens if foo.cpp is first compiled as static library and link with main.o. [Note: it is a pattern I observed where the issue happens; such a simple program does not reproduce the issue I mentioned! ]

• I come up a workaround solution: I found the issue happens if the static library is linked directly; I get the issue resolved by using -l switch, something is similar as below:

dpcpp -g -fPIC main.o libfoo.a      #This will trigger the issue in 2021.2, but not in 2021.1
dpcpp -g -fPIC main.o -L. -lfoo     #This way will solve the issue in 2021.2

I hope the information above could give some ideas to Intel engineer finding the root cause of myissue in 2021.2.

Regards,

Amon

0 Kudos
cw_intel

Thank you for contacting Intel® Support. Let me reproduce first.

0 Kudos
cw_intel

Hi,

Could you provide complete code that reproduces your issue (the simpler the better), rather than the pattern.

I tried to reproduce your issue, and tried to add something into the pattern, still couldn't reproduce your issue. So, I think the complete code is better.

Thanks​

0 Kudos
cw_intel

Hi,

I will need more information to help with this. I tried to reproduce your issue, and tried to add something into the pattern, still couldn't reproduce your issue. Could you send the entire code that can reproduce this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cw_intel

Hi,

I will need more information to help with this.  Could you send the entire code that can reproduce this issue? If not, I will assume that you have found a solution on your own and I will close this issue in 5 days.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
francescobrozzu
Beginner

I've had the same issue with this library https://github.com/llohse/libnpy, if it is included in a library that is linked the compilation fails with the error:

InvalidModule: Invalid SPIR-V module: Casts from private/local/global address space are allowed only to generic

llvm-foreach:
dpcpp: error: llvm-spirv command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

when it is linked to the main executable.

0 Kudos