Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for core tools and libraries to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
245 Discussions

Flags support to control floating-point calculations when using OneAPI via DevCloud

clicia
New Contributor I

Dear all,

We have faced a problem when using dpct (available on DevCloud) regarding the use of some flags. We are using the following flags to compile the cuda code: --ftz, --prec-div, and --fmad. I tried to find equivalent flags for dpc++ code, but without success.

Some C++ documentation indicates the possibility of using the -ftz, -prec-div, and -fma flags, however, we see the following error when trying to include it in the compilation:
dpcpp: error: unknown argument: '-ftz'
dpcpp: error: unknown argument: '-prec-div'

Are there any suggestions on finding these flags for dpc++ code using dpcpp? Support for these flags does exist on OneAPI via DevCloud?

Thank you all.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Clicia,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

For --ftz flag please refer the below link for more information.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-gui...

Regarding other options, we are forwarding this thread to the Subject Matter Expert who will guide you with more information.

Have a Good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

clicia
New Contributor I

Hi, Goutham

Thanks for your help with the -ftz flag. It works now. But we are still struggling to set -prec-div:

dpcpp: error: unknown argument: '-prec-div'

Remembering that I am logged in devcloud environment where I did some tests: When I compile a c++ program with icc the flag works fine. When I try to compile a dp.cpp program with the dpcpp compiler, this error appears.

Any help from Subject Matter Expert will be welcome.

Thank you again.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

with the command "dpcpp --help", there is no option "--prec-div​", and i checked the document https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-gui..., there shows "This version of the compiler uses a close approximation to the IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic, version IEEE 754-2008, unless otherwise stated."

I'm not sure if dpcpp support this option, and i will further confirm with compiler team.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

I use command "icx -qnextgen-diag" to show the ICC classic options that are not accepted by icx. I found that the option "-prec-div" is not available currenty, but we may support it in the future.

Subarnarek_G_Intel

Can you try using -freciprocal-math instead of -prec-div and see if it resolves your issue?

Subarnarek_G_Intel

Escalated this case to the Engineering! Still waiting for customer reply!