cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Employee

Gen9 is not detected until login into the desktop on Ubuntu 20.04

Jump to solution

Recently, I have upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 release. I found that 20.04 cannot enumerate out the Gen9 GPU device until I login into the desktop.

Use the attachment - `device.cpp` - could reproduce the problem.

Before login:

```

platform-1 device-1 [CPU]
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Intel(R) Corporation
platform-2 device-1 [CPU]
Intel(R) Corporation
platform-3 device-1 [HOST]
SYCL host device

```

After login:

```

platform-1 device-1 [GPU]
Intel(R) Gen9 HD Graphics NEO
Intel(R) Corporation
platform-2 device-1 [CPU]
Intel(R) Corporation
platform-3 device-1 [CPU]
Intel(R) Corporation
platform-4 device-1 [HOST]
SYCL host device

```

Driver & Runtime:

```

$ dpkg -l | grep intel
ii intel-gmmlib 20.3.1 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Memory Management Library Package
ii intel-gpu-tools 1.25-2 amd64 tools for debugging the Intel graphics driver
ii intel-igc-core 1.0.5186 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Compiler for OpenCL(TM)
ii intel-igc-opencl 1.0.5186 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Compiler for OpenCL(TM)
ii intel-level-zero-gpu 1.0.18123 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Compute Runtime
ii intel-media-va-driver:amd64 20.1.1+dfsg1-1 amd64 VAAPI driver for the Intel GEN8+ Graphics family
ii intel-microcode 3.20200609.0ubuntu0.20.04.2 amd64 Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
ii intel-ocloc 20.41.18123 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Compute Runtime
ii intel-opencl 20.41.18123 amd64 Intel(R) Graphics Compute Runtime
ii libdrm-intel1:amd64 2.4.101-2 amd64 Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20200226-1 amd64 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

```

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Please verify once the downloaded graphics drivers. You can download them from the below link.

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-guides/ubuntu/ubuntu-focal.html

Also, check if you have all the requirements needed for  Intel® Graphics Compute Runtime for OneAPI Level Zero and OpenCL™ Driver. Please refer to the below link for more details.

https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/blob/master/README.md

By logging into the desktop* I am assuming that you are switching to a different user.

If you already followed the above steps correctly then check the list of groups for both the user.

You can try $ cat /etc/group and make sure that both of your users are a member of the video or render group.

If the user is not in the video/render group then try adding the user to the video/render group.

you can use the following command to add the user to a video group.

$ sudo usermod -a -G video <username>

Hope the above details will help you in solving your problem. Please do post us back if you face any issue. I have tried your attached code and it giving me the correct details of all my devices.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Please verify once the downloaded graphics drivers. You can download them from the below link.

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-guides/ubuntu/ubuntu-focal.html

Also, check if you have all the requirements needed for  Intel® Graphics Compute Runtime for OneAPI Level Zero and OpenCL™ Driver. Please refer to the below link for more details.

https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime/blob/master/README.md

By logging into the desktop* I am assuming that you are switching to a different user.

If you already followed the above steps correctly then check the list of groups for both the user.

You can try $ cat /etc/group and make sure that both of your users are a member of the video or render group.

If the user is not in the video/render group then try adding the user to the video/render group.

you can use the following command to add the user to a video group.

$ sudo usermod -a -G video <username>

Hope the above details will help you in solving your problem. Please do post us back if you face any issue. I have tried your attached code and it giving me the correct details of all my devices.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Employee

Thanks so much @AbhishekD_Intel . It works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation. We will no longer monitor this thread. Please post a new thread you have any issues.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos