Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
419 Discussions

I want use heterogeneous Windows-Linux environment.

habbaya
Novice

Hello ~
I have two systems.

mpi01 (192.168.250.61) : Rocky 9.1
mpi-client01 (192.168.250.54) : Win10

I want use heterogeneous Windows-Linux environment.

ssh no password is ok.

[susol@mpi01 ~]$ I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 I_MPI_HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP=ssh mpiexec.hydra -bootstrap ssh -hosts mpi-client01 hostname

[mpiexec@mpi01] Launch arguments: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x mpi-client01 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy
--upstream-host mpi01 --upstream-port 33447 --pgid 0 --launcher ssh --launcher-number 0 --base-path /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin/
--tree-width 16 --tree-level 1 --time-left -1 --launch-type 2 --debug --proxy-id 0 --node-id 0 --subtree-size 1
/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_pmi_proxy --usize -1 --auto-cleanup 1 --abort-signal 9
[mpiexec@mpi01] check_exit_codes (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:117): unable to run bstrap_proxy on mpi-client01 (pid 16638, exit code 256)
[mpiexec@mpi01] poll_for_event (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:159): check exit codes error
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_dmx_poll_wait_for_proxy_event (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:212): poll for event error
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_bstrap_setup (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/bstrap/src/intel/i_hydra_bstrap.c:1061): error waiting for event
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_print_bstrap_setup_error_message (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/mpiexec/intel/i_mpiexec.c:1027): error setting up the bootstrap proxies
[mpiexec@mpi01] Possible reasons:
[mpiexec@mpi01] 1. Host is unavailable. Please check that all hosts are available.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 2. Cannot launch hydra_bstrap_proxy or it crashed on one of the hosts. Make sure hydra_bstrap_proxy is available on all hosts and it has right permissions.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 3. Firewall refused connection. Check that enough ports are allowed in the firewall and specify them with the I_MPI_PORT_RANGE variable.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 4. Ssh bootstrap cannot launch processes on remote host. Make sure that passwordless ssh connection is established across compute hosts.
[mpiexec@mpi01] You may try using -bootstrap option to select alternative launcher.

This is Linux system's path.
[mpiexec@mpi01] Launch arguments: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x mpi-client01 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy

But mpi-client01 system is Windows 10.
So, I want change "/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy" path for windows 10.

How can I change ??

[susol@mpi01 ~]$ mpiexec -V
Intel(R) MPI Library for Linux* OS, Version 2021.8 Build 20221129 (id: 339ec755a1)
Copyright 2003-2022, Intel Corporation.

c:\>mpiexec -V
Intel(R) MPI Library for Windows* OS, Version 2021.8 Build 20221129

Thanks ~

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

>>>How do I get a heterogeneous operating system (Windows-Linux) environment-supported version?

With Intel mpi 2018 U5 version -hostos is a valid flag, based on which we can assume that the cross-OS support also works, and this version is available for download on IRC.

With the support license you can download the older version from IRC - https://registrationcenter.intel.com/

>>>It's supported old version of OneAPI ?

Yes it's supported in the older version of Intel oneAPI

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
habbaya
Novice

Hello ~

This option Same also.

Never changed path.

Thanks ~~~

I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 I_MPI_HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP=ssh mpiexec.hydra -bootstrap ssh -demux select -genv I_MPI_FABRICS shm:tcp -env I_MPI_ROOT c:\\'Program Files (x86)'\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest \
-env PATH c:\\'Program Files (x86)'\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest\\bin \
-host 192.168.250.54 -n 2 C:\\windows\system32\HOSTNAME.exe
[mpiexec@mpi01] Launch arguments: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x 192.168.250.54 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy --upstream-host mpi01 --upstream-port 41471 --pgid 0 --launcher ssh --launcher-number 0 --base-path /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin/ --tree-width 16 --tree-level 1 --time-left -1 --launch-type 2 --debug --proxy-id 0 --node-id 0 --subtree-size 1 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin//hydra_pmi_proxy --usize -1 --auto-cleanup 1 --abort-signal 9
[mpiexec@mpi01] check_exit_codes (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:117): unable to run bstrap_proxy on 192.168.250.54 (pid 16715, exit code 256)
[mpiexec@mpi01] poll_for_event (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:159): check exit codes error
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_dmx_poll_wait_for_proxy_event (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:212): poll for event error
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_bstrap_setup (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/bstrap/src/intel/i_hydra_bstrap.c:1061): error waiting for event
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_print_bstrap_setup_error_message (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/mpiexec/intel/i_mpiexec.c:1027): error setting up the bootstrap proxies
[mpiexec@mpi01] 1. Host is unavailable. Please check that all hosts are available.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 2. Cannot launch hydra_bstrap_proxy or it crashed on one of the hosts. Make sure hydra_bstrap_proxy is available on all hosts and it has right permissions.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 3. Firewall refused connection. Check that enough ports are allowed in the firewall and specify them with the I_MPI_PORT_RANGE variable.
[mpiexec@mpi01] 4. Ssh bootstrap cannot launch processes on remote host. Make sure that passwordless ssh connection is established across compute hosts.
[mpiexec@mpi01] You may try using -bootstrap option to select alternative launcher.

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Intel forums.

To run a mixed Linux-Windows MPI job, do the following:

1. Make sure the Intel MPI Library is installed and operable, and the product versions match on all nodes.

2. On the Windows hosts, make sure the Hydra service is running:

> hydra_service -status

If the service is not running, use the -start option to start it

When running a mixed job, set the following options and environment variables:

1 -demux select

2 -genv I_MPI_FABRICS=shm:tcp

3 -host <hostname>

4 -hostos <os> for nodes operating on the other OS

5 -env I_MPI_ROOT and -env PATH – local environment variables for the specified host

6 (optional) -bootstrap ssh – specifies the remote node access mechanism. If the option is not specified, the Hydra service is used. If you specify ssh, make sure the SSH connectivity is established between the Linux and Windows nodes.

Also, please use the option "-hostos windows" as given below:

I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 I_MPI_HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP=ssh mpiexec.hydra -bootstrap ssh -demux select -genv I_MPI_FABRICS shm:tcp -env 

I_MPI_ROOT=<windows_installdir> -env PATH=<windows_installdir>\bin -hostos windows -host <windows-hostname> -n 2 hostname 

Please follow the above steps & let us know if it resolves the issue. If you still face the same issue, then provide us the complete debug log along with the command you used. 

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

habbaya
Novice

Hello ~

Thanks for reply.

1. Make sure the Intel MPI Library is installed and operable, and the product versions match on all nodes.
A. Rocky 9.1
[susol@mpi01 ~]$ mpiexec -info
HYDRA build details:
Version: 2021.8
Release Date: 20221129 (id: 339ec755a1)
Process Manager: pmi
Bootstrap servers available: ssh slurm rsh ll sge pbs pbsdsh pdsh srun lsf blaunch qrsh fork
Resource management kernels available: slurm ll lsf sge pbs cobalt

[susol@mpi01 ~]$ mpiexec -V
Intel(R) MPI Library for Linux* OS, Version 2021.8 Build 20221129 (id: 339ec755a1)

B. Windows10
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>mpiexec -info
HYDRA build details:
Version: 2021.8
Release Date: 20221129
Process Manager: pmi
Bootstrap servers available: service lsf blaunch
Resource management kernels available: hpc lsf

[susol@mpi01 ~]$ ssh 192.168.250.54 mpiexec -V
Intel(R) MPI Library for Windows* OS, Version 2021.8 Build 20221129

2. On the Windows hosts, make sure the Hydra service is running:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>hydra_service -status

hydra service running on mpi-client01

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>mpiexec -validate
SUCCESS on host mpi-client01

### Result ###
[susol@mpi01 ~]$ I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 I_MPI_HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP=ssh mpiexec.hydra -bootstrap ssh -demux select -genv I_MPI_FABRICS shm:tcp \
-env I_MPI_ROOT='"C:\Program Files (x86)"\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest' -env PATH='"C:\Program Files (x86)"\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest\\bin' -hostos windows -host mpi-client01 -n 2  'C:\\windows\\system32\\HOSTNAME.exe'

[mpiexec@mpi01] match_arg (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/arg/hydra_arg.c:91): unrecognized argument hostos
[mpiexec@mpi01] Similar arguments:
[mpiexec@mpi01] host
[mpiexec@mpi01] hosts
[mpiexec@mpi01] h
[mpiexec@mpi01] hostlist
[mpiexec@mpi01] s
[mpiexec@mpi01] HYD_arg_parse_array (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/arg/hydra_arg.c:128): argument matching returned error
[mpiexec@mpi01] mpiexec_get_parameters (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/mpiexec/mpiexec_params.c:1359): error parsing input array
[mpiexec@mpi01] main (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/mpiexec/mpiexec.c:1783): error parsing parameters
[susol@mpi01 ~]$

There is no option hostos.

And I tried exclude hostos option, I got a same result.

[susol@mpi01 ~]$ I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=1 I_MPI_HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP=ssh mpiexec.hydra -bootstrap ssh -demux select -genv I_MPI_FABRICS shm:tcp -env I_MPI_ROOT='"C:\Program Files (x86)"\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest' -env PATH='"C:\Program Files (x86)"\\Intel\\oneAPI\\mpi\\latest\\bin' -host mpi-client01 -n 2 'C:\\windows\\system32\\HOSTNAME.exe'
[mpiexec@mpi01] Launch arguments: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x mpi-client01 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy --upstream-host mpi01 --upstream-port 35961 --pgid 0 --launcher ssh --launcher-number 0 --base-path /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//bin/ --tree-width 16 --tree-level 1 --time-left -1 --launch-type 2 --debug --proxy-id 0 --node-id 0 --subtree-size 1 /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//bin//hydra_pmi_proxy --usize -1 --auto-cleanup 1 --abort-signal 9
[mpiexec@mpi01] check_exit_codes (../../../../../src/pm/i_hydra/libhydra/demux/hydra_demux_poll.c:117): unable to run bstrap_proxy on mpi-client01 (pid 18018, exit code 256)

If you need more information 

please tell me.

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Officially, heterogeneous operating system (Windows-Linux) environment support is no longer available.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
habbaya
Novice

Hello ~

Thanks for reply.

It's sounds very sad.

How do I get heterogeneous operating system (Windows-Linux) environment supported  version?

It's supported old version of OneAPI ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

We are working on it and will get back to you.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

>>>How do I get a heterogeneous operating system (Windows-Linux) environment-supported version?

With Intel mpi 2018 U5 version -hostos is a valid flag, based on which we can assume that the cross-OS support also works, and this version is available for download on IRC.

With the support license you can download the older version from IRC - https://registrationcenter.intel.com/

>>>It's supported old version of OneAPI ?

Yes it's supported in the older version of Intel oneAPI

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

As we did not hear back from you could you please let us know whether my previous post resolves your issue? If yes please accept it as a solution.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos
ShivaniK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards

Shivani

0 Kudos