Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
419 Discussions

Installation question / integration with Visual Studio 2019

Viachek
Beginner

Good day!

I have some problems right after the installation of Base Kit.
When I’m opening any sample project in Visual Studio, I get the following warning:
C:\Projects\OneAPI\vectorAdd\vector-add.vcxproj : warning  : The build tools for oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler cannot be found. Install oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler to build using the oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler build tools.

So can’t build samples:
Error    MSB8020    The build tools for oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler (Platform Toolset = 'oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler') cannot be found. To build using the oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler build tools, please install oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".    vector-add    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    379        

I have checked the settings using the sys_check.bat. It tells that everything is ok:
No issues encountered.

Thanks in advance!

Information about system:
Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 v.16.3.7, BaseKit_b_2021.1.2.060,  OS Windows 7 x64, CPU Intel Core i7-5820K

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WILLIAM_H_Intel4
Employee

Hello!

Please check the release information for the compiler at this URL:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/oneapi-data-parallel-c-compiler-release-notes

Specifically, this entry may be related to your issue:

On Microsoft Windows* system, if the Visual Studio* C++ Development tools are not installed in the default location, the setvars.bat script does not detect the Visual Studio* install path and returns an error message. To work around this issue, set the VS2017INSTALLDIR or VS2019INSTALLDIR (depending on the Visual Studio* version) environment variable to the installation directory before running the setvars.bat script.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Viachek
Beginner

Nope. I have this variable, and all the installation procedures I have made with default settings.

And one more :)
In the VS menu:
Extensions - Intel - Open online documentation repository

seems, it leads to the unexisting page
https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-windows-get-started-with-the-oneapi-toolkit-for-windows
"This is awkward...We couldn't find what you were looking for. You can check out the latest buzz, search our site, or find an event."

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

We had tried to build the samples for BaseKit_b_2021.1.2.060 with our existing installation Visual Studio 2019 version: 16.2.4 and it is working fine for us. Could you please downgrade the VS version and see if that works. Meanwhile, we will test with the latest VS version and will get back to you.

Regarding the Open online documentation repository: Thanks for letting us know,we will inform this to the concerned team.

You can follow the below link for the getting started guide:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-windows

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

We can build/run sample applications on Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.3.7 using OneAPI base toolkit version BaseKit_b_2021.1.2.060.

Check the below link for steps to run the sample applications on Visual Studio.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-windows-run-a-sample-project-using-an-ide

Please recheck your setup or try reinstalling. Let us know in case the issue persists.

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

We are closing this thread assuming that the solution provided helped.

0 Kudos
Viachek
Beginner

Hi. I have reinstalled both VS and OpeAPI toolkit and it still doesn't work. I will try again on my own laptop. And actually, I dont have Professional Edition of VS - its not free version. Is it possible that problem is connected with Community Edition of VS?

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@Vlachek,

Please provide the output from inside Visual Studio > Help> About Microsoft Visual Studio >Copy Info. Just paste the info here. 

Visual Studio Community is supported, so this is not an issue. It is important to have VS configured with C++ Development workload:

During installation of VS under the Workloads view (shown below), select the checkbox to install the Desktop development with C++ component (including Cmake tools)

If VS is already installed:

• Open the Visual Studio Installer (See Windows Start or Windows Desktop)
  • For the installed version of Microsoft Visual Studio 2019*, select Modify
  • Under the Workloads view (shown below), select the checkbox to install the Desktop development with C++, make sure Cmake tools are checked too
0 Kudos
titov__vladimir
Beginner

On installation of Base Kit on two different windows 10 Professional builds I found that "Operating system is not supported".

0 Kudos
Viachek
Beginner

Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

@Vlachek,

Please provide the output from inside Visual Studio > Help> About Microsoft Visual Studio >Copy Info. Just paste the info here.

Hello! This is info from VS:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
Version 16.3.7
VisualStudio.16.Release/16.3.7+29424.173
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.03761

Installed Version: Community

Visual C++ 2019   00435-60000-00000-AA839
Microsoft Visual C++ 2019

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2019   16.3.286.43615
ASP.NET and Web Tools 2019

C# Tools   3.3.1-beta3-19461-02+2fd12c210e22f7d6245805c60340f6a34af6875b
C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Intel® oneAPI Extension   v0.4.3.2
Intel® oneAPI Visual Studio Extension

Intel® VTune™ Profiler 2021.1-beta02   0
Intel® VTune™ Profiler 2021.1-beta02, (build 0),  Copyright © 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

IntelliCode Extension   1.0
IntelliCode Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Microsoft JVM Debugger   1.0
Provides support for connecting the Visual Studio debugger to JDWP compatible Java Virtual Machines

Microsoft MI-Based Debugger   1.0
Provides support for connecting Visual Studio to MI compatible debuggers

Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards   1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards

Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package   1.0
Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package

NuGet Package Manager   5.3.1
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit https://docs.nuget.org/

ProjectServicesPackage Extension   1.0
ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Test Adapter for Boost.Test   1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Boost.Test.  The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Test Adapter for Google Test   1.0
Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Google Test.  The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Visual Basic Tools   3.3.1-beta3-19461-02+2fd12c210e22f7d6245805c60340f6a34af6875b
Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android)   16.0.29230.54
Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android)

Visual C++ for Linux Development   1.0.9.29424
Visual C++ for Linux Development

Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package   1.0
Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio

Visual Studio Tools for CMake   1.0
Visual Studio Tools for CMake

Visual Studio Tools for CMake   1.0
Visual Studio Tools for CMake

Visual Studio Tools for Kubernetes   1.0
Visual Studio Tools for Kubernetes

---

And one more, when checking the installation in Visual Studio Installer, it gave me following error:

The package "05535DC0-CF5C-4FC4-BBE5-2D908196EA0D,version=2021.1" could not be installed.
    Search URL
https://aka.ms/VSSetupErrorReports?q=PackageId=05535DC0-CF5C-4FC4-BBE5-2D908196EA0D;PackageAction=Install;ReturnCode=0x80096004   ;  
    Information
        Invalid certificate: DPCPPToolsets.vsix
    Affected components
        Intel(R) oneAPI Data Parallel C++ Compiler IDE (Component.05535DC0-CF5C-4FC4-BBE5-2D908196EA0D,version=2021.1)

* P.S.this is already new toolkit:     w_BaseKit_b_2021.1.3.085.exe

0 Kudos
Doug_B_Intel
Employee

I am using Visual Studio 2019 Professional and I am seeing the same behaviors as Viachek including the fact that the Intel oneAPI is missing from the list of tools that are installed and the Installer reporting that it did not install the Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++ Compiler.

In my case, I had installed Visual Studio 2019 using an offline configuration since the machines I was attempting to install were not connected to the Internet.  Likewise, the oneAPI installation was done by downloading the full package on a separate machine and then installing on machines that did not have Internet access.

0 Kudos
Doug_B_Intel
Employee
Update: I am not 100% certain which of the actions I took solved the issue, but for me it has been resolved. Here are my observations: First, I had created the Visual Studio installation with the command: vs_professional__481815973.1529897451.exe --layout "D:\Microsoft VS 2019" --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktop --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.Office --includeOptional --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop --includeRecommended --lang en-US The thought was that I could then install both VS and oneAPI from a USB drive without Internet connection. I installed VS first, then oneAPI. I am pretty sure the oneAPI detected the VS installation and suggested integrating the tools and I did not change the check box. However, as mentioned previously, after installation VS reported that the DPC++ compiler was not installed and the VS Installer reported the error about checksums. All of this happened while not connected to Internet. I connected to Internet. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling oneAPI. This time the screen noting that VS 2019 was installed did not happen during the installation (tried multiple times). I finally ended up uninstalling oneAPI and VS 2019. Then, while connected to the Internet, I installed VS 2019 and followed with installing oneAPI. This time oneAPI installer detected VS 2019 and added the tools to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages (there were several including the 05535DC0-CF5C-4FC4-BBE5-2D908196EA0D,version=2021.1 that VS 2019 originally said was failing to install when offline). Now the DPC++ compiler is listed as functional and everything compiles under the IDE. NOTE: I was able to compile the sample (in my case I was using Vector Add) with the command line even when it was failing to compile under the IDE).
0 Kudos