Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
419 Discussions

No .sln file when downloading vector add example using oneapi-cli.exe

SailingDreams
New Contributor I
C:\temp\oneAPI\vs-dos\vector-add>dir "*.sln" /s
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Volume Serial Number is AE4D-07C9
File Not Found

C:\temp\oneAPI\vs-dos\vector-add>dir "*.cpp" /s
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Directory of C:\temp\oneAPI\vs-dos\vector-add\src
03/02/2023  09:34 AM             6,563 vector-add-buffers.cpp
03/02/2023  09:34 AM             5,972 vector-add-usm.cpp
               2 File(s)         12,535 bytes
     Total Files Listed:
               0 Dir(s)  700,223,852,544 bytes free

Hi

I followed the instructions on this page to build the vector add example using the visual studio command line. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-base-windows/top/run-project-visual-studio-command-line.html

The instruction to build the program is 

MSBuild vector-add.sln /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration="Release"

but it fails because there is no .sln file in the folder. Below my search for *.sln in the vector-add generated folder. 

vector-add>dir "*.sln" /s
 Volume in drive C is OS
File Not Found

C:\temp\oneAPI\vs-dos\vector-add>dir "*.cpp" /s
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Directory of C:\temp\oneAPI\vs-dos\vector-add\src
03/02/2023  09:34 AM             6,563 vector-add-buffers.cpp
03/02/2023  09:34 AM             5,972 vector-add-usm.cpp
     Total Files Listed:
               0 Dir(s)  700,223,852,544 bytes free

I'm guessing that the instructions are now outdated and that the oneapi-cli.exe will no longer create a .sln and that you only get the .sln when you use the Visual Studio IDE to create the example (via Extensions -> Intel -> Browse for oneapi examples). True?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

>>>I'm guessing that the instructions are now outdated and that the oneapi-cli.exe will no longer create a .sln and that you only get the .sln when you use the Visual Studio IDE to create the example (via Extensions -> Intel -> Browse for oneapi examples). True?

Yes, the documentation is indeed outdated and the instructions need to be updated. The solution file(.sln) was removed in the latest OneAPI package(2023.0) and using cmake to standardize the build process. Visual Studio can open cmake based project as well as .sln solution files. The .sln files have been removed in favor of the cmake projects. 

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

Could you please provide your OneAPI Toolkits and Visual Studio versions along with OS and hardware details?

Please check your VS, OneAPI toolkit and OS compatibility through the link given below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
SailingDreams
New Contributor I

Hi Shaik

• oneAPI 2023.0.0
  • Visual Studio 2022 v 17.5.1 (from the link you sent, oneAPI 2023 was validated on build VS 2022 17.4.2)
  • Windows 10 home build 10.0.19045
  • Intel core i5-7200

I am able to build and run the examples using the oneAPI CLI (command line interface), so compatibility isn't the issue - the missing .sln is. I thought I'd point out that the instructions below to build using the visual studio command line are now outdated 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-base-win...

Note. I was able to create, build and run in Visual Studio (not visual studio code) when I got the sample from the VS toolbar : extensions-> intel -> browse intel oneapi samples. This tells me the oneapi example getter in VS is able to generate a .sln, whereas the CLI sample getter does not. 

Thanks for your help. 

Cheers

Eddie 

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

>>>I'm guessing that the instructions are now outdated and that the oneapi-cli.exe will no longer create a .sln and that you only get the .sln when you use the Visual Studio IDE to create the example (via Extensions -> Intel -> Browse for oneapi examples). True?

Yes, the documentation is indeed outdated and the instructions need to be updated. The solution file(.sln) was removed in the latest OneAPI package(2023.0) and using cmake to standardize the build process. Visual Studio can open cmake based project as well as .sln solution files. The .sln files have been removed in favor of the cmake projects. 

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos
RabiyaSK_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik Rabiya

0 Kudos