Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
417 Discussions

Plan to support DPC++ on CentOS 7?

baranovsky
Beginner
Hello,

As we know, CentOS is one of the most widely used linux server OSs. Currently, intel oneAPI Base Tookit is supported on CentOS 7 except for DPC++ compiler.

Do we have plan to support DPC++ compiler (hopefully with GPU accelerator support
) on CentOS 7?

Looking forward to your invaluable information!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

>>Do we have plan to support DPC++ compiler (hopefully with GPU accelerator support) on CentOS 7?

DPCPP will not work with CentOS 7 for below reasons.

1. GPU driver incompatibility- RHEL/CentOS 7 by default has kernel version 3.10. We require kernel version 4.15 and above for GPU.
  2. DPCPP is built with higher version of libstdc++, Underlying driver of DPCPP requires a newer version of libstdc++.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>>Do we have plan to support DPC++ compiler (hopefully with GPU accelerator support) on CentOS 7?

We support CentOS 8 and later versions currently. We will get back to you soon for CentOS 7.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

DPCPP will not work with CentOS 7 for below reasons.

1. GPU driver incompatibility- RHEL/CentOS 7 by default has kernel version 3.10. We require kernel version 4.15 and above for GPU.
  2. DPCPP is built with higher version of libstdc++, Underlying driver of DPCPP requires a newer version of libstdc++.

Best Regards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos
baranovsky
Beginner

I will consider to move to a newer OS.

Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos
CFR
New Contributor II

Is this still the case? 

1) 3.10 may be the default, but all my systems are running newer kernels (not that any of my clusters have Intel GPUs anyway)

2) All my systems have newer GCC than the default 4.8.5 so a newer libstdc++ is available.

The point being that if these are the only two problems then they're easily (if not already) addressed for those of us wanting to do something in HPC/cluster environments (where it's a lot harder to "just upgrade the OS").

0 Kudos
ShanmukhS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the accepting the solution. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Tegards,

Shanmukh.SS

0 Kudos