Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit
Support for the core tools and libraries within the base toolkit that are used to build and deploy high-performance data-centric applications.
419 Discussions

Request for Access to Plugins: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ – Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit for Windows

MashavaAlvaradoRuiz

Would the Powers-That-Be at Intel® please be kind enough to release the plugins for the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers for source code editing, build automation tools and debugging of development projects in the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit for Windows 10.x

The requested plugins do not necessarily have to be bundled together with the entire build of the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit for Windows 10.x but could exist as add-on *.bat scripts for the Command Prompt, which if downloaded and executed into the correct sub-directory constituting the overall installation directory of the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit on Windows 10.x

:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\

as currently exists for the GNU Bash Command Language Interpreter in the LINUX variant:

~$ find . -type f -regextype awk -regex ".*(com.intel|org.eclipse).*[.]zip"

The impetus for my request derives from the abyss and the immeasurable pain, that any plausible Developer utilizing the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit under the Windows 10.x Operating System, would find themselves in, if they intend to utilize an IDE for C++ development projects through the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit.

My request is not intended to stifle the flair of the Visual Studio pundits at Intel®, who in their hypocrisy of preaching the Gospel of Open Source computing to the public gallery, have condemned all Windows 10.x users of the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit to the tediously cumbersome and high computational latency monster that is called the Visual Studio Development Environment (installation size >= 25 GB, excluding all the necessary build extensions: CMake, Git, GNU Debugger).

Technically speaking, there are no salacious features or special computational attractions with respect to source code editing, build automation tools and debugging that Visual Studio delivers with discernible superiority to those delivered by the GCC GNU Compiler Collection. On Windows 10.x, MSYS2 provides up-to-date native builds for GCC, MinGW-w64, CPython, CMake, Meson, OpenSSL etc. and also provides the capabilities of utilizing the latest GDB GNU Debugger for C++

Furthermore, the rest of the prerequisites for the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit running on Windows 10.x, namely CMake and Git can be installed with automatic configuration of the Environment Variables as standalone systems that communicate with the GCC GNU Compiler which altogether with the GBD, CMake and Git are easily set up and configured in the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers.

As an experiment, I have managed to execute the setvars.bat script and successfully access and explore the DPC++ Samples from Intel through the Command Line Interface in the absence of the Intel® preferred Visual Studio.

If the option of utilizing the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers in LINUX (Bash, GCC, GDB, Cmake, Git) exists for the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit, the same option could surely exist in Windows 10.x

The required C++ build tools specified in the Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit Documentation are NOT unique and exclusive to Visual Studio and therefore can also be accessed through the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, powered by the GCC GNU Compiler.

I am open to criticism…

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

We are going ahead and closing this thread. Please post a new question if you need any additional information from Intel.

Regards,

Vidya.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ArpitaP_Intel

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I will surely convey your feedback to the development team.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Alina_S_Intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing your request for Intel oneAPI Eclipse support on Windows. I brought this request to the meetings of our Product Line Managers and Program Managers for oneAPI. We discussed Windows IDE support and Eclipse. We have considered Eclipse support in the past year. We reviewed our data and our position on not supporting Eclipse on Windows.  After discussion, unfortunately, we have determined that we will not be able to support Eclipse integrations for Windows at this time. However, we have logged your request into our Bug tracking database as a feature request. If more customers request this capability we will revisit this topic. Thank you for sending us your request.

0 Kudos
MashavaAlvaradoRuiz

Thanks Alina,

My apologies for the somewhat tardy nature of my acknowledgements - at times, it's best to cool off and come back with attenuated frustrations.

Subsequent to your feedback, I have accepted the solution proposed by Vidya and will not be commenting further, since the desired solution exists and resides in the exclusive computational deployment of the OneAPI Toolkit in a LINUX environment.

Saludos Cordiales,

Arnold.

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

We are going ahead and closing this thread. Please post a new question if you need any additional information from Intel.

Regards,

Vidya.

MashavaAlvaradoRuiz

Thanks Vidya,

I have no objections to the resolutions taken by the Program Managers.

I have resolved to work with OneAPI Toolkit and all its related components (OpenVINO, Analytics Zoo) strictly in a LINUX environment (openSUSE) as this allows one to interact with the DPC++ compiler in the Eclipse IDE and eliminates the regrettable condemnation to Visual Studio system retardations and discontinuities.

I have no further queries or commentary pertaining to this topic.

Gracias.

0 Kudos