Intel® oneAPI Data Analytics Library
Learn from community members on how to build compute-intensive applications that run efficiently on Intel® architecture.
224 Discussions

Bug in daalvars.sh if installation path contains "/bin"

Adam_S_6
Beginner

I am running the Professional Edition for Fortran and C++ of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. This bug occurs in versions 16.0.0 and 16.0.1 at least.

When I discovered this bug, I was trying to source bin/compilervars.sh in order to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH properly. After running this, my LD_LIBRARY_PATH contained a couple of suspicious entries:

daalvars.csh daalvars.sh /soft/spack/opt/spack/linux-x86_64aries/intel-16.0.1/compilers_and_libraries_2016.1.150/linux/daal/bin/lib/intel64_lin
daalvars.csh daalvars.sh /soft/spack/opt/spack/linux-x86_64aries/intel-16.0.1/compilers_and_libraries_2016.1.150/linux/daal/bin/../compiler/lib/intel64_lin

The installation directory I used was:

/soft/spack/opt/spack/linux-x86_64/binaries/intel-16.0.1

As you can see, something stripped the "/bin" out of the middle of my path. I tracked this bug down to another script that is sourced by compilervars.sh. If you look inside daal/bin/daalvars.sh, you'll see the following line:

local daal=${daal_bin/\/bin/}

This line is designed to strip the "/bin" from the end of a path. However, my path contains the word "/binaries". This bash replacement actually strips out the first occurrence of the word "/bin". In order to fix this bug, I changed the line to the following:

local daal=${daal_bin%\/bin}

The second problem with daalvars.sh is actually on the line above. The script added a "daalvars.csh daalvars.sh " to my path. To be fair, this is actually my fault. In my .bashrc, I created a function:

function cd {
    command -p cd "$@" && ls
}

This function automatically runs "ls" every time I change directories. The problem with the script is that it runs "cd" to determine the directory:

local daal_bin=$(cd "$(dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")" && pwd)

The easiest fix for me was to change the line into:

local daal_bin=$(command -p cd "$(dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")" && pwd)

I know, it's definitely my fault for creating a "cd" function that obscures the system "cd". If you don't want to patch this then I totally understand. It's mainly the "/bin" stripping that I consider to be a bug.

I attached a patch that I created for this bug. In order to use it, download the path, place it in the daal/bin directory, and run:

patch -p1 < daalvars_patch.txt daalvars.sh

I couldn't figure out where to submit a bug report for this problem, so if you would like me to submit an official bug report just let me know.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adam_S_6
Beginner

I just noticed that the same problem with "cd" is occurring for me in pkg_bin/compilervars_arch.sh with MANPATH. If you want to resolve this issue, simply add "command -p " before each call to "cd". I've added a patch to accomplish this.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,
I'll transfer this to the DAAL forum at: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-data-analytics-acceleration-library  for faster resolution to this issue, thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Zhang_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reporting the problem. We'll investigate and fix, if necessary, in our future releases.

Zhang

0 Kudos