Intel® oneAPI Data Analytics Library
Learn from community members on how to build compute-intensive applications that run efficiently on Intel® architecture.

DAAL build error on macOS Sierra: invalid deployment target for -stdlib=libc++

Andrei_D_
Beginner

Hi,

I would like to try pyDAAL out but I keep running into this error: "clang: error: invalid deployment target for -stdlib=libc++ (requires OS X 10.7 or later)".  My mac OS version is 10.12.3, Xcode version is 8.0 (8A218a).  Here is a full log of my latest attempt:

python setup.py install

running install

running bdist_egg

running egg_info

writing pydaal.egg-info/PKG-INFO

writing dependency_links to pydaal.egg-info/dependency_links.txt

writing top-level names to pydaal.egg-info/top_level.txt

reading manifest file 'pydaal.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'

writing manifest file 'pydaal.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'

installing library code to build/bdist.macosx-10.6-x86_64/egg

running install_lib

running build_py

running build_ext

building 'daal.algorithms.neural_networks.layers.lrn._lrn' extension

gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -Wunreachable-code -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/include -arch x86_64 -I./daal/include -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/include -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/include/python3.5m -c daal/wrp/_algorithms__neural_networks__layers__lrn.cpp -o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-3.5/daal/wrp/_algorithms__neural_networks__layers__lrn.o -std=c++11 -w -fstack-protector -fPIC -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Wformat-security -DSWIGPY_USE_CAPSULE_

g++ -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -L/opt/intel/intelpython35/lib -arch x86_64 build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-3.5/daal/wrp/_algorithms__neural_networks__layers__lrn.o -L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/lib -L/opt/intel/intelpython35/lib -ldaal_core -ldaal_thread -o build/lib.macosx-10.6-x86_64-3.5/daal/algorithms/neural_networks/layers/lrn/_lrn.cpython-35m-darwin.so -stdlib=libc++ -Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/../tbb/lib

clang: error: invalid deployment target for -stdlib=libc++ (requires OS X 10.7 or later)

error: command 'g++' failed with exit status 1

Any help to finish up the build and installation would be very much appreciated!

Best,
Andrei
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hello Andrei,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience.  There are two options to get PyDAAL working for you.

1. You can install Intel’s Python distribution, which includes a pre-built version of PyDAAL.
  2. You can try running the install like this:
     MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 python setup.py install

Regards,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hello Andrei,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience.  There are two options to get PyDAAL working for you.

1. You can install Intel’s Python distribution, which includes a pre-built version of PyDAAL.
  2. You can try running the install like this:
     MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 python setup.py install

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Andrei_D_
Beginner

Specific deployment target did help to get past the initial error, but 15 or so minutes later I ran into another:

building 'daal.data_management._db' extension

gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -Wunreachable-code -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/include -arch x86_64 -I./daal/include -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/include -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/lib/python3.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include -I/opt/intel/intelpython35/include/python3.5m -c daal/wrp/_data_management__db.cpp -o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-3.5/daal/wrp/_data_management__db.o -std=c++11 -w -fstack-protector -fPIC -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Wformat-security -DSWIGPY_USE_CAPSULE_

In file included from daal/wrp/_data_management__db.cpp:3388:

/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.163/mac/daal/include/data_management/data_source/mysql_feature_manager.h:42:10: fatal error: 

'sql.h' file not found

#include <sql.h>

^

1 error generated.

error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I guess I'll opt out for a prebuilt version.

Edit: typo.
0 Kudos
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for responding.

These headers are not installed by default on later versions of OSX. Installing them via a package manager will allow the build to complete. On Homebrew, the required command is: 

brew install unixodbc

Please let me know if this solves all build issues.  If not, I am happy to assist further.

Chris

0 Kudos
Andrei_D_
Beginner
It did indeed help! I was able to finish the build, install and run one of the GitHub notebook-tutorials. Thank you for the help! I guess it would only be humane to update the installation instructions to save others time. At file:///opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2017.2.046/documentation_2017/en/daal/ps2017/get_started.htm has nothing about these pitfalls. Best, Andrei
0 Kudos