Intel® oneAPI Data Analytics Library
Learn from community members on how to build compute-intensive applications that run efficiently on Intel® architecture.

Garbage free Java GBT prediction

mbazero
Beginner

I'm running GBT prediction using DAAL java library version 2020.3.013 from maven.

I'm running in a latency-sensitive system with strict limits on garbage generation. The official java example for GBT prediction allocates a new array internally in the DAAL java library whenever a new prediction result is retrieved.

Is there any way to run GBT prediction without generating garbage like this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are working on it internally, will get back to you soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mbazero
Beginner

Thanks!

And for more details, this is the line in the DAAL java library that appears to allocate the new java array from the prediction result c object:

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneDAL/blob/master/java/com/intel/daal/algorithms/gbt/regression/prediction/PredictionResult.java#L63

I'm wondering if it's possible to copy the prediction result c object to existing java array or otherwise read it without creating garbage.

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi,

I am an engineer working on investigating your case. We are working on it internally, please feel free to provide any other information that you think may be helpful as well as we look into the details for this (OS system, hardware, etc.).

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
mbazero
Beginner

Any suggestions here? I think the only relevant information is that I'm using the DAAL java library version 2020.3.013 from maven. I'm wondering if there's any way with the Java API to perform GBT prediction without creating garbage.

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the information. We are working on this internally and will update this thread when we can provide further steps.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
mbazero
Beginner

Any updates by chance?

0 Kudos
kpetrov
Employee

Hi, @mbazero

We create an object every time it is accessed, since we are compute algorithms in C ++ and converting from the C++ table of result to Java object. I think this cannot be avoided in the current implementation.  

How real is it for you critical? We can think about how to fix this for the future release.

0 Kudos
mbazero
Beginner

Thanks for the reply @kpetrov .

The big concern here is the allocation of a new Java array inside heap memory for every prediction result. This is a critical blocker for using DAAL in our production systems.

Our production systems can tolerate some garbage--e.g. some wrapper java objects per prediction result--but not a full array allocation.

Is there any way with the current API to write prediction results to a direct DoubleBuffer, for example?

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi,

I have spoken with @kpetrov. This functionality is not currently available in oneDAL Java library API. Potentially, the problem would be solved by adding setters of result tables for algorithms. We will add this as a feature request into our roadmap for a future release.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

This issue has been closed and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos