Intel® oneAPI Data Analytics Library
Community support for building compute-intensive applications that run fast on Intel® architecture.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
204 Discussions

System Crash when get blocks from a CSRNumericTable

ray_l_1
Beginner
hi, Sir
​I found PyDAAL  got crashed when I trying to print a CSRNumericTable, and here is the example
import numpy as np
from utils import printNumericTable

### import Available Modules for CSRNumericTable###
from daal.data_management import (CSRNumericTable,readOnly,BlockDescriptor)
# Non zero elements of the matrix
values = np.array([1,2,7,8,5,3,9,6,4], dtype=np.intc)
# Column indices "colIndices" corresponding to each element in "values" array
colIndices = np.array([0, 1, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3, 1,3], dtype=np.uint64)
# Row offsets for every first non zero element encountered in each row
rowOffsets = np.array([0,2,4,7,9], dtype=np.uint64)
# Creation of CSR numeric table with the arguments dicussed above
nObservations = 3 # Number of rows in the numpy array
nFeatures = 3# Number of columns in numpy array

CSR_nT = CSRNumericTable(values, colIndices, rowOffsets, nFeatures, nObservations)
#printNumericTable(CSR_nT)
block=BlockDescriptor(ntype=np.intc)
print("start")
CSR_nT.getBlockOfRows(0, CSR_nT.getNumberOfRows(), readOnly, block)
print("end")
print(block.getArray())
​but in the console, only "start" is printed, and "end" is never appeared. in the windows event viewer , an error was reported "C:\IntelPython3\lib\site-packages\daal\data_management\_data_management.cp36-win_amd64.pyd"   . When directly using printNumericTable function from uitls in example, issue is same. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VictoriyaS_F_Intel

Hello Ray,

Intel DAAL supports only one-based indexing for CSRNumericTable. In your example zero-based indexing is used. To convert zero-based indices to one-based add following lines into the example:

colIndices = colIndices + 1
rowOffsets = rowOffsets + 1

From the colIndices and rowOffsets you provide, I assume that the numeric table size is 4 x 4. That is why you need to change nObservations and nFeatures values in the example as follows:

nObservations = rowOffsets.size - 1
nFeatures = 4                       # should be greater or equal to np.max(colIndices) for colIndices in one-based format

Can you please make the suggested changes and reply whether this helps to resolve the issue?

Best regards,

Victoriya

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VictoriyaS_F_Intel

Hello Ray,

Intel DAAL supports only one-based indexing for CSRNumericTable. In your example zero-based indexing is used. To convert zero-based indices to one-based add following lines into the example:

colIndices = colIndices + 1
rowOffsets = rowOffsets + 1

From the colIndices and rowOffsets you provide, I assume that the numeric table size is 4 x 4. That is why you need to change nObservations and nFeatures values in the example as follows:

nObservations = rowOffsets.size - 1
nFeatures = 4                       # should be greater or equal to np.max(colIndices) for colIndices in one-based format

Can you please make the suggested changes and reply whether this helps to resolve the issue?

Best regards,

Victoriya

View solution in original post

ray_l_1
Beginner

removed duplication​

ray_l_1
Beginner

deleted due to a refresh issue

ray_l_1
Beginner

deleted

ray_l_1
Beginner
hi, Victoriya Thanks a lot for the help. I changed my code from zero-base to one-base, and it works now. but I am still surprised why numpy uses zero-based indices ,and CSRNumericTable use one-based. and I also find there is a typo error in the code snippet of White Paper.
in the example of CRSNumericTable, the rowOffsets is printed as np.array([1,4,6,9,2,14], dtype=np.uint64), this will introduce a crash of the system . The correct one shall be np.array([1,4,6,9,12,14], dtype=np.uint64). From the experience, looks the Numeric Table is not so strong enough. a simple typo error can introduce a system crash immediately, that could be bad when there are large data.