Intel® oneAPI Data Analytics Library
Learn from community members on how to build compute-intensive applications that run efficiently on Intel® architecture.

What programming languages does this library support?

Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Question : 

What programming languages does this library support?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Zhang_Z_Intel
Employee

Intel DAAL currently provides C++ API and Java API. Depending on customer's demand we may add support for other programming languages in future. Let us know your preferences!

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

@Zhang Z Python is extremely popular as a programming language for data science. Are there any plans to include Python wrappers in the final version?

0 Kudos
Sergey_M_Intel2
Employee

Dear Gaston,

We're considering Python API. It's good time to share your requirements, if any.

* What Machine Learning, Scientific, and Data Management Python packages do you currently use?

* Are there any compatibility requirements with other packages? If yes how much performance can you tolerate?

* Other requirements?

Thank you,

Sergey

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

@Sergey,

That's great news. I'm sure there is a very important number of Python developers that will love to have a Python API for this library.

Let me provide you the information you requested. The most popular packages I've been working with in many projects are:

Machine Learning: Scikit-Learn

Scientific Package: Sci-Py

I do believe compatibility with these two packages would be extremely useful.

Let me know any additional information that might be helpful to provide.

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

@Sergey,

I also worked with Pydoop and Pig. However, not sure how popular they are amongst Python developers that work with Python and Hadoop. I think Jython is one of the most populars when working with Hadoop.

0 Kudos
Sergey_M_Intel2
Employee

Hi Gaston,

This is useful. Scikit-Learn, NumPy/SciPy, Pandas are on our radar. In terms of compatibility, what kind of compatibility are you looking for? For instance, full API compatibility is impossible due to DAAL supports greater variety of usage scenarios than Scikit-Learn. Second aspect is that compatibility always means tradeoff and the key question is how much do you want to tolerate, e.g. in terms of performance or may be in other categories.

That will help us in making right tradeoffs

Regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

@Sergey,

You are right. I've been diving deep on DAAL in the last days as I discovered it a week ago and DAAL supports greater variety of usage scenarios compared with Scikiy-Learn.

IMHO, the most important thing is to have a Python wrapper.

When developers choose Python, they accept a performance tradeoff. Python is cool, but not fast as C / C++. Thus, IMHO, it makes sense to have a performance tradeoff.

0 Kudos
Sergey_M_Intel2
Employee

Got it! Thank you Gaston!

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

@Sergey,

In case you need additional details that might help, you can drop me an e-mail to gastonhillar at the domain hotmail dot com.

I'll be working testing DAAL in different scenarios and with its supported programming languages as it is a library in which I'm very interested in.

0 Kudos
Sergey_M_Intel2
Employee

Hi Gaston,

Thank you! Much appreciated! We'll discuss with engineering teams and come back with questions.

Thank you,

Sergey 

0 Kudos