Intel® oneAPI Data Parallel C++
Support for Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Compiler, Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Library, Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, and GDB*

Issues with oneAPI Base toolkit

gib
New Contributor II

First I tried installing the toolkit on a Windows 7 machine.  The installation failed immediately because api-ms-win-shcore-scaling-l1-1-1.dll was missing.

I then installed successfully on a Windows 10 machine.  I don't know if this is because it's W10 or because it also has VS 2019 installed.  Anyway, so far so good.

I built the vector-add sample program (I first had to unset 'read-only' on the directory to allow mkdir), but when I run it the program fails:

info: internal compiler error

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\vector-add-buffers.exe' : return code '0x01'

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Windows 7 is not supported by oneAPI. Please check the system requirements here:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-oneapi-base-toolkit-system-requi...

Could you please specify your Visual Studio version on Windows 10?

Also, mention the steps you have followed to build/run the sample.

Please refer to the link below to build/run the samples on the command line:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-bas...

Get started link (Windows):

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/get-started-with-intel-oneapi-bas...

Thanks,

Rahul

gib
New Contributor II

Thanks for responding, Rahul.

I followed these command line build and run instructions:

To build: nmake -f makefile.win

To run: nmake -f makefile.win run

The build was successful, creating vector-add-buffers.exe (339 KB)

I have both VS2012 and VS2019 - I don't know which nmake was used. 

For some reason two VS project files were created, vector-add-buffers.vcxproj and vector-add-usm.vcxproj.  They both contain the same two projects, and build x64\release\vector-add-buffers.exe and x64\release\vector-add-usm.exe.

I can't recall where I saw the instructions to use nmake for the build and run, but now I have done this with MSBuild:

MSBuild vector-add.sln /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration="Release"

This uses VS2019 creates vector-add-buffers.exe and vector-add-usm.exe, but not vector-add.exe.  There is one warning but no errors.

RahulV_intel

Hi,

>>This uses VS2019 creates vector-add-buffers.exe and vector-add-usm.exe, but not vector-add.exe. There is one warning but no errors.

Does it run in the scenario or are you facing the same issue again?

Could you please try to build/run the simple vector add code below:

#include <CL/sycl.hpp>
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

using namespace sycl;

#define size 1024

int main() {
    std::vector<int> A(size, size), B(size, size), C(size, 0);

{ //SYCL scope begins
        queue q;
        range<1> R(size);
        buffer<int,1> buffA(A.data(), R);
        buffer<int,1> buffB(B.data(), R);
        buffer<int,1> buffC(C.data(), R);
		std::cout<< "Running on: "<<q.get_device().get_info<info::device::name>()<<"\n";
        q.submit([&](handler &cgh) {
            auto acc_buffA = buffA.get_access<access::mode::read>(cgh);
            auto acc_buffB = buffB.get_access<access::mode::read>(cgh);
            auto acc_buffC = buffC.get_access<access::mode::write>(cgh);
            cgh.parallel_for(R, [=](id<1> i) {
                acc_buffC[i] = acc_buffA[i] + acc_buffB[i];
                }
            );
        });
    } //SYCL scope ends

std::vector<int> vecValidate(size, 2*size);
    (C==vecValidate) ? std::cout << "Success\n" : std::cout<<"Failure\n";
    return 0;
}

Steps to build and run the code:

• Open the "Intel oneAPI command prompt for Visual Studio-19" in order to automatically source the oneAPI environment.
  • If you do not find the oneAPI command prompt, to manually source the oneAPi environment, open the usual Microsoft command prompt and execute the below command (From oneAPI_root installation directory):
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI" && setvars.bat
  • To build and run:
dpcpp simplevecadd.cpp -o sva.exe && sva.exe

Let us know if you face any issues.

Regards,

Rahul

RahulV_intel

Hi,

Were you able to run the vector-add code sample? (attached in the previous post)

Let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Rahul

gib
New Contributor II

Hi Rahul,

Problems persist.
  1.  I tried to make the directory for vector-add a subdirectory of oneAPI.  I did not have permission for this.  So I created that directory first, then ran oneapi-cli again.  This led to another permission issue - no permission to write there.  So I changed the permissions and was able to run oneapi-cli and finally run MSBUILD.  I have attached the output from the build.  Both vector-add-buffers.exe and vector-add-usm.exe are created.
  2. When I run either of the executables I get an error message saying that sycl.dll is not found.

I should add (in case it's not obvious) that I didn't install oneAPI at the default location, because my C drive is pretty full. Instead I installed it at F:\oneAPI.

I added the location of sycl.dll (F:\oneapi\compiler\2021.2.0\windows\bin) to the PATH, and now the execution fails in a different way:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).
At this stage I would usually run Dependency Walker, but it doesn't work with Windows 10.  Suggestions?
gib
New Contributor II

I increased the permissions on the bin directory, and now both executables fail with a different message - an exception is caught.

The permissions issues are a pain, because the user doesn't know what is needed.  I have never had this problem before when installing software.  Maybe it works on Linux but nobody has paid much attention to Windows.

RahulV_intel

Hi,

>> The permissions issues are a pain because the user doesn't know what is needed.

Running the command prompt as an administrator might help in this case. (Right-click on the cmd application and select "Run as administrator")

>> I increased the permissions on the bin directory, and now both executables fail with a different message - an exception is caught.

Could you please attach a screenshot of the message displayed?

Thanks,

Rahul

gib
New Contributor II

Error message attached

RahulV_intel

Hi,

Could you please attach the SYCL_PI_TRACE logs by setting the environment variable as follows:

set SYCL_PI_TRACE=2

Once you set this environment variable, run the executable as usual to see the Debug output.

Thanks,

Rahul

gib
New Contributor II

There is no output.  It would help if you told me where to find the log file.

RahulV_intel

Hi,

Since you are facing the issues at runtime, the SYCL_PI_TRACE log will contain information about the low-level API invoked during runtime.

RahulV_intel_0-1620107859842.png

Please redirect the output to a text file and attach the same.

Command:

set SYCL_PI_TRACE=2 && your_app.exe

Thanks,

Rahul

RahulV_intel

Hi,

Just a quick reminder to attach the PI_TRACE logs.

Thanks,

Rahul

gib
New Contributor II

As I said before, I do not know where to find these logs.  There is no program output as it fails immediately.

Viet_H_Intel

Can you let us know which version of VS2019 you have?

Thanks,

Viet_H_Intel

Is your issue resolved? if not, can you let us know which VS2019 version you are currently using? The reason I asked is because some versions of VS are not yet supported by Intel compiler. Please see this link https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-mic... 

Thanks,

Viet_H_Intel

Let us know if you still having issue. If not, we would like to close this thread in the next few days.

Thanks,

Viet_H_Intel

Let's close this case. We will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks,