Intel® oneAPI Data Parallel C++
Support for Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Compiler, Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Library, Intel ICX Compiler , Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, and GDB*
560 Discussions

oneApi 2021.4 xilink: : error : Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c line 312)

SergOvcharenko
Beginner

Using newly installed oneAPI 2021.4 + VisualStudio 16.11.3.

Create new project - Console App -

#include <iostream>

int main() {std::cout << "Hello World!\n";}

After rebuilding I get:

Rebuild started...
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: xilink, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>xilink: : error : Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 312)
1>Done building project "xilink.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

Tried on many other projects, x32 and x64, other VS versions - the error is the same.

I have found workaround - I copied file xilink.exe  from older version 2021.2 to 2021.4 folder - and linking start working!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.2.0\windows\bin\intel64\xilink.exe  

was copied to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.4.0\windows\bin\intel64\xilink.exe  

(and intel64_ia32 was copied too..)

1 Solution
Igor_V_Intel
Employee

It is escalated to the development team and should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

As a workaround you can copy a file clang.exe (by default it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\bin) to the folder with xilink (for x64 configuration it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\bin\intel64).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CHEN__PENGJU
Novice

Thanks, but could anyone provide a solution if I don't want to reverse to the previous oneAPI

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please let us know which compiler you are using?

Thanks & Regards

Varsha

0 Kudos
SergOvcharenko
Beginner

I am using Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler.
I create new project "Console App", then switch from MS compiler to Intel in Visual Studio menu: Project - Intel Compiler.
There are another possibility while creating project in VS - "DPC++ Console Application" - it is working fine.
But switching compiler for "MS created project" from MS to Intel compiler give xilink error "Assertion failed"

Steps-to-reproduce the error:
1. On hyper-v host - new virtual mashine - fresh Windows 10 20h2 x64 + all updates + no any other installations.
2. Installation VisualStudio 2019 Community from visualstudio.microsoft.com/ru/downloads/ - with only one checkbox "Desktop development with C++" selected.
3. Installation oneApi w_BaseKit_p_2021.4.0.3421_offline - recommended Installation

4. Start VS - Create new project - "Console App. Run code in a Windows terminal. Prints Hello World by default. C++ Windows Console"

5. VS Menu - Build - Build Solution - (MS Compiler!!!) - Build: 1 succeeded
6. VS Menu - Project - Intel Compiler - Use Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler
after changing compiler from MS to Intel:
VS menu - Build - Build Solution -
Output window:
Build started...
1>------ Build started: Project: ConsoleApplication1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>xilink: : error : Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 312)
1>Done building project "ConsoleApplication1.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

7. Steps-to-reproduce workaround:
7.1. Copy file xilink.exe previous version 2021.2.0.0, size 2.39MB, Date midified 2/27/2021 9:19PM to folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.4.0\windows\bin\intel64 and replace existing version of that file 2021.4.
7.2. VS Menu - Build - Build Solution - Build: 1 succeeded

0 Kudos
Igor_V_Intel
Employee

It is escalated to the development team and should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

As a workaround you can copy a file clang.exe (by default it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\bin) to the folder with xilink (for x64 configuration it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\latest\windows\bin\intel64).

0 Kudos
Geetika94
Employee

I had the same issue and this worked for me too. Thanks !

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. 

The issue raised by you has been fixed in Intel oneAPI 2022.1 version. Please download and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos