Intel® oneAPI Data Parallel C++
Support for Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Compiler, Intel® oneAPI DPC++ Library, Intel ICX Compiler , Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, and GDB*

user space install possible?

CFR
New Contributor II

Any hope of installing OneAPI stuff (mostly just the Base/HPC) without root?  I'm mostly just interested in phase1:  DPC++ and some kernels and would be happy with just x86 (i.e. AVX) "acceleration".  Phase2: FPGA emulation would be step 2 if I could do that without having to install a bunch of system stuff.  Beyond that I know I'm stuck without system level install.

I stuck with CentOS7.7 and gcc/8.3.0 but I did a standard install to my home directory, dealt with missing readpath to set setvars.sh to work and lo and behold...

#include <iostream>
#include <CL/sycl.hpp>
namespace sycl = cl::sycl;
int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  auto platforms = sycl::platform::get_platforms();
  std::cout << platforms.size() << " Platforms" << std::endl;
  for (auto &platform : platforms) {
    std::cout << "Platform: " 
        << platform.get_info<sycl::info::platform::name>()
        << std::endl;
  }
}

Outputs:

Platform: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM)
Platform: Intel(R) OpenCL
Platform: SYCL host platform^@compiA^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<90>±T^B^@^@^@^@ FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM)^@ ;b^B^@^@^@^@A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^Q^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ÿÿÿÿ<93>^?^@^@CL_CONFIG_DEVICES^@<88>Ù<93>^?^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@!^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@G_DEVICES^@T^B^@^@^@^@!^@^@^@^@^@^@^@È<87>^DÙ<93>^?^@^@È<87>^DÙ<93>^?^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@FissionableDevice^@^@^@^@^@^@^@1^@^@^@^@^@^@^@OpenCL 2.1 LINUX^@BLE_CONTEXT_TRACING^@21.¡<84>^M^@^@^@^@^@<88><8f>^DÙ<93>^?^@^@<88><8f>^DÙ<93>^?^@^@`²T^B^@^@^@^@`²T^B^@^@^@^@À¢T^B^@^@^@^@p²T^B^@^@^@^@^@...

then segfaults.

I did verify that OCL_ICD_VENDORS does finally work with these tools, but it actually didn't seem to make any difference as the tools seem to find something to work with even if there isn't any system wide OpenCL/vendors information available. 

Anyway, I'm just curious about the potential.  If there's hope I'll keep trying, if not then it's time to dig out my laptop at home and conform.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kaleem_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Craig,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are working on this issue and will get back to you.

Kaleem

0 Kudos
Varsha_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Craig,

Yes, you can install non root without any issues for your use case. I installed it on a CentOS 7 machine under my home directory.
This is the output in my case -

./a.out
3 Platforms
Platform: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM)
Platform: Intel(R) OpenCL
Platform: SYCL host platform
Not sure why it segfaults in your case. Have you tried any other sample?

-Varsha

0 Kudos
CFR
New Contributor II

Thanks.  So at least I know it _can_work.  In my case it looks like the "SYCL host platform" is an unterminated string but I think it's at a deeper level than I can control.  I'll certainly poke around.

Could you post which version of CentOS (uname -a, /etc/system-release) and which version of gcc (gcc --version)? (and maybe which version of OneAPI?)

I've been working toward upgrading my home laptop to Ubuntu 18.04 (and maybe using docker to isolate the OneAPI stuff), but I'm thinking there are others like me who are stuck w/ work/school IT infrastructure we can't change so it's worth documenting.

0 Kudos
Varsha_M_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

Here is my system info-

-bash-4.2$ cat /etc/system-release
CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
-bash-4.2$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 5.5.0
-bash-4.2$ uname -a
 3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64 

I used 2021.1-beta03 version of oneAPI

-Varsha

0 Kudos
MaheshB_Intel

Hi,

Could you please let us know if your issue is resolved? OR Could you please try on OneAPI 2021.2 and let us know ?

thanks ,

0 Kudos
MaheshB_Intel

Hi,

As we have not heard back from you, we are considering that your issue has been resolved and we have answered all your queries. So we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Have a Good day!

0 Kudos