Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
1829 Discussions

Allocate the memory of an entire node on a single MPI process

Vasileios_K_
Beginner

Dear all,

I want to benchmark an implementation in cluster architectures. The number of processes need not be high, however I need as much memory as possible on each MPI process. For example, I have access to a large cluster where each node has two sockets and each socket has 6 multithreaded cores. Assume that I launch one MPI process per node (or per socket). Can I make this particular MPI process to access the entire node's (socket's) memory? Right now I can launch a single MPI process per socket but the amount of memory that the process sees is only the that of a single core.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Heinrich_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Vasileios,

I wonder why you get the strange behavior with MPI on your nodes. A single MPI process should be able to access the whole memory unless you did restrict it by using numactl. Do you have a reproducer for this behavior? How much memory were you able to allocate? How much memory was available (shown by e.g. top).

thanks, 
Heinrich