Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Bug: I_MPI_VERSION vanished into 2019 release and different than MPI_Get_library_version

EricChamberland
Beginner

Hi,

I just noticed that the mpi.h file included with 2019 release is missing any #define that helps to detect the mpi flavor used like former I_MPI_VERSION #define.

The wrong thing is that, when calling the MPI_Get_library_version function, the output is:

Intel(R) MPI Library 2019 for Linux* OS

which I think, should be something like:

MPICH Version: 3.3b2

or close to...

I suggest two ways to fix this:

- Modify MPI_Get_library_version to return the mpich version string...

- Re-add the I_MPI_VERSION or any #define, to detect at compile-time that "Intel MPI" is used.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
6 Replies
James_T_Intel

I have escalated this to our engineering team.

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

Does that means there is no way to know, at compile time, if we are using Intel MPI and if yes, which version ?

What is the recommanded way to work around Intel MPI's bug ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

dsi-intel d. wrote:

Does that means there is no way to know, at compile time, if we are using Intel MPI and if yes, which version ?

I fear this is right.  Worst, if your code (like our) verifies "#ifdef MPICH_VERSION", it will be a false positive!!! :/

Hope Intel team will fix this in future release... But it is hard to know if what we report here is being acted or not...

A (simple) workaround is to add to you command line what is missing, for example:

icpc -DI_MPI_VERSION="Intel(R) MPI Library 2019.0.1 for Linux* OS" ...

Eric

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

This will be resolved in Intel® MPI Library 2019 Update 2.

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

Great! Thanks for the information! :)

Eric

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

We've had to make some adjustments to our release plans, and will be releasing this fix in 2019 Update 3 instead.

0 Kudos