Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

Bugged MPICH 3.3b2 used in Parallel Studio 2019 initial release

EricChamberland
Beginner
Hi, I just realized that the Parallel Studio 2019 initial release is using MPICH 3.3b2 which is a buggy release as reported here: https://lists.mpich.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-April/005447.html I confirm that the tag upper limit initialization is not fixed in this release (see mpich commit: c597c8d79deea22) and is a problem for all PETSc users. What a bad choice for an official release!!! Please consider releasing with MPICH 3.3b3 instead, or no MPI at all! Eric
0 Kudos
9 Replies
James_T_Intel

Eric,

We actually don't include MPICH in Intel® Parallel Studio XE.  We include our own implementation, Intel® MPI Library.  Can you please confirm which MPI you are using?

mpirun -v

Our engineering team has implemented a fix for the bug mentioned above, and expects you could be encountering a different problem.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Can you also provide the exact configuration and tests which are failing?  Our engineering team tested with the problem test reported in the mpich-maillist and did not get any errors.

$ mpirun -n 2 src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2
Norm of error 0.000411674 iterations 7
$ I_MPI_FABRICS=ofi mpirun -n 2 src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2
Norm of error 0.000411674 iterations 7

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

Ok, give me some time to re-install everything since I completely wiped out everything...

I may get back to you only on oct. 15 since I am out next week...

Eric

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

BTW,

please help me understand:

Why the mpi.h file distributed is the MPICH one?

When trying to identify the MPI flavor at *compile time*, it is impossible! (see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology/topic/797705)

Thanks!

Eric

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

I'm checking with our engineering team regarding the information in your other thread.

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

Ok, I reinstalled everything...

to confirm the version I used:

which mpirun /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpirun

-bash-4.4$ mpirun -v

[mpiexec@thorin] main (../../../../../src/pm/hydra2/mpiexec/mpiexec.c:1645): assert (pg->total_proc_count * sizeof(int)) failed

-bash-4.4$ mpirun -V

Intel(R) MPI Library for Linux* OS, Version 2019 Build 20180829 (id: 15f5d6c0c) Copyright 2003-2018, Intel Corporation.

Also, I tried the PETSc example, and it works! :/

So my problem is different then the one I thinked...

I have an error returned by a "simple" MPI_Isend. I am trying to produce a MWE to give it to you.

Eric

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

Ok,

this is still a "tag" bug.

I have simple MWE attached, which gives the following explicit error:

Abort(67744516) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): Fatal error in PMPI_Irecv: Invalid tag, error stack:
PMPI_Irecv(156): MPI_Irecv(buf=0x7ffff2268900, count=10, MPI_INT, src=0, tag=123454321, MPI_COMM_WORLD, request=0x7ffff2268974) failed
PMPI_Irecv(100): Invalid tag, value is 123454321

If you compile the attached example with OpenMPI or MPICH, it works!

Hope this help!

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
EricChamberland
Beginner

Doh!

Just realized that MPI standard tag limit is 32767... :/

But it is not activated for other MPI flavours..

So it is *my* error, sorry!

Eric

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

No worries.  Since this is resolved, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

0 Kudos