Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Can Xeon Phi 5110p be run on a host with Windows 7

Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a Fortran code  heavily depending on graphic output  in order to know what is going on during the simulation. Therefore I would like to stay with Windows. Has anybody any experience with Xeon Phi 5110p on a workstation with Windows 7 (or 10)? I intend to parallize using MPI, as a third party subroutine library prohibits use of e.g. OpenMP.

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I believe there is no mpi supported between Linux on coprocessor and Windows host, hence the emphasis on offload model. Some intel tools work well on win10, others not at all.
0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer!  I am, however, not really sure what your answer mean.

If I want to run Fortran code on Phi in the offload mode, which has been developped by Intel, can I use Windows 7 or is Windows 10 the only possibility? Or is neither W7 nor W10 possible? What about Windows Server then?

Or should I forget altogether to run Fortran under Windows on the Phi in offload mode?

Sorry Tim for my persistence but I have tried to find anybody that has succeded with Windows and Phi with little success.

If you, on the other hand, do not discourage me from trying to use Phi under W7, is there a "recipe" to be found elsewhere how to proceed to install Phi and MPI?

Best regards

Anders Salwén

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Offload model should work in win7 although only server equivalents are fully tested. Win10 or at least server equivalents ought not to be far off but I can't speak for intel. I can imagine the permissions issues may require work.

Again, there is little or no windows hosted mpi support for Mic. If you use offload to access Mic, mpi implementations such as mpich2 or intel mpi are straightforward to install as long as you don't expect them to deal with Mic. Openmpi for Windows appears to be supported only under cygwin so there is no Mic support. 

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

Thanks again for a quick answer. The reasons for my persistent questions is that I bought Intel Cluster Studio under Windows and a Phi 5110p card in an Intel campaign. Is there a way forward with that combination under W7 /W10/W Server to arrive at a working system? I have realized that it is necessary to get preferably an E5-1600v3/E5.2600v3 host system, probably 128Gb memory, a possibility to address >4GB and an effective cooling of the passively cooled Phi card. Do you say that W7 is poosible  in principle but nobody seems to have tested it? That must then be a question to ask Intel!

What does "permission issue" mean?

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It's an exaggeration to say nobody tested coprocessor with win7 although server os would be needed for full intel internal test suites.

Win10 introduces a new level of pickiness  about permissions, breaking many past Windows scripts.  For example, some intel tools are able to create a folder with no permissions, so the tool fails.  One would think that intel would work to support all tools in win10 now that platforms are advertised with win10 preinstalled.

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

Thans for your answer! It seems  that Windows 7 should be possible to use, but at the same time there is no enthusiams about this combination in my different investigations. I guess that a vast majority go for Linux in these applications. What is your recommendation in order to get a "future-safe" solution?

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You open this to speculation about sketchy pre-announcements. More detail about KNL should emerge by November.  So far I've seen nothing specific about windows vs. Linux support.  Intended continuation of pci based versions seems aimed at Windows with suspicion that much new mpi functionality may be reserved for Linux.

It's hard to guess when win10 support will be introduced fully, whether it may apply only to future products.  If Microsoft discontinues win7 support, that would lead to intel doing the same, but it's difficult to see how Intel could delay win10 support for another year or more.

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer! I have read a few chapters in the book on Phi by Jeffers and Reinders and realized how natural Linux is as a operating system for the host. As I have put down my foot and do something in order to reduce computing times I have decided to change to Linux. All information I have gathered the last weeks points in this direction. QuickWin graphics can possibly be replaced by gnuplot. The Fortran code can still be developed on the Developer Studio.

Tim, I have really appreciated your answers which had a important impact on my decisions!

The very best regards

Aanders S

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer! I have read a few chapters in the book on Phi by Jeffers and Reinders and realized how natural Linux is as a operating system for the host. As I have put down my foot and do something in order to reduce computing times I have decided to change to Linux. All information I have gathered the last weeks points in this direction. QuickWin graphics can possibly be replaced by gnuplot. The Fortran code can still be developed on the Developer Studio.

Tim, I have really appreciated your answers which had a important impact on my decisions!

The very best regards

Aanders S

0 Kudos