Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2158 Discussions

Can mpitune still be used on application specific by setting the config file?

mpi_new_user
New Contributor II
  • OS info and version : Centos 8.2
  • CPU info: 8  | Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake, IBRS)
  • Toolkit package full name with version: Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit | 2021 ,Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit | 2021

Question:

I have read many documents about MPI and mpitune on the website,and I found there are so many  differences between old and existing versions about mpitune.

In the latest version of mpitune,I know how to use the sample configuration file that is given by Intel in the directory '/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/...tune_cfg/'.

The question is that how can I set my own configuration file to evaluate the performance of a given MPI application ?Is there a example about it? Or is this feature no longer supported?

Is there a document about this ? I am confused between new and old documents.

Thank you.Any support is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Yun,

Yes, there had been changes in mpitune usage.

We will get back to you with the exact steps on how to use mpitune.

Meanwhile, we suggest you use autotuner(Autotuning (intel.com)) which is more efficient and faster than mpitune.

We will get back with the answer for mpitune.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
mpi_new_user
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply.

And is there any document about the tuning_results.dat that is created by autotuning? Are the variables in it ? How can I read the dat file?

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Yun,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The results of the autotuner are not human readable.

But i will get back to you if it is possible to interpret those results.

Thanks for being patient we will get back to you soon.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
mpi_new_user
New Contributor II

Hi PrasanthD,

OK,thanks. I am waiting for your reply about the autotuner.

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Yun,

I have contacted the internal team regarding the .dat file output of the autotuner. They replied that it is not supposed to be read. It is a binary file.

You can use I_MPI_TUNING_BIN_DUMP to select the particular dat to use.

Let us know if you have any other queries

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
mpi_new_user
New Contributor II

I have no more questions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DrAmarpal_K_Intel

A quick clarification here. The correct environment variable to specify a tuning file in binary format to be used by the Intel MPI Library runtime is I_MPI_TUNING_BIN. On the other hand, I_MPI_TUNING_BIN_DUMP is used to specify a file into which tuning data is written by Autotuner during the tuning process.  

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Yun,

Thanks for the confirmation.

As the issue has been resolved we are closing this thread and we will no longer monitor this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos