Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Can not find impi.dll on Windows

Volker_J_
Novice

Hello again,

I have Intel MPI 2019 Update 3 SDK installed on Windows and set up a "hello world" example like this:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/mpi-developer-guide-windows-configuring-a-visual-studio-project

But when I try to start my program with mpiexec.exe, it can not find impi.dll.

After some research I noticed that in prior versions impi.dll was located in the same folder as mpiexec (C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\mpi\2019.3.203\intel64\bin) and it works right out of the box, but in the current version it seems to be missing?

I have also noticed that all the library symlinks in C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\mpi\2019.3.203\intel64\lib\ are missing, too.

Thanks for your help and kind regards,

Volker Jacht

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yury_K_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We removed symbolic links and now impi.dll are placed in .../bin/release, .../bin/debug. Please setup environment using mpivars:
call mpivars.bat
mpiexec.exe ...

--

Best regards, Yury

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yury_K_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We removed symbolic links and now impi.dll are placed in .../bin/release, .../bin/debug. Please setup environment using mpivars:
call mpivars.bat
mpiexec.exe ...

--

Best regards, Yury

0 Kudos
Volker_J_
Novice

Hello,

if setting up the environment via mpivars.bat is mandatory to make it work, why does the installer add the bin folder to the global PATH environment variable then? In consequence mpiexec is directly available through a clean cmd (without invoking mpivars.bat), but will fail later as it cannot find the respective libraries or worse finds some old mpi libraries which are somewhere else in PATH. Wouldn’t it be less error prone, to either add a default impi.dll to the bin folder next to mpiexec for cases where mpivars.bat was not used or not let the installer set the PATH variable at all, which makes mpiexec exclusively available via mpivars.bat. That kind of issue has given us many support headaches so far and we would love to see some improvements there.

Thank you and kind regards,

Volker Jacht

Constikri
Beginner

Hello,

I have a similar problem. My program compiles just fine, but during runtime impi.dll is missing. I found it in the folder where it should be, but mpiexec does not as it seems. Also, running the mapivars.bat does not help at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello,

This thread is no longer being supported by Intel.  Please start a new thread with your question and we will be happy to help you out.

GH

0 Kudos