Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
1828 Discussions

Can you point me at what particular tcp/udp ports hydra and smpd services use to communicate over the network ?

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Dear Collegues,

Can you point me at what particular tcp/udp ports hydra and smpd services use to communicate over the network ? I tried to make an exception for mpiexec utility and hydra service in windows firewall but it still doesn't work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Arthur.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArthurRatz
Black Belt

I've already found a solution of this problem. The main reason why hydra and smpd services failed to communicate over the network is that I should have add an exception also to my router firewall not just windows firewall.

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Normally smpd and hydra services use multiple ports to communicate over the network. To provide a network communication you have to add an exception to firewall rules on each node (hosts) in your computation cluster.

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Also, to provide a connection to your computational cluster from the Internet you have to setup NAT translation on your router.

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Also if all above doesn't work for you it's recommended to setup a particular IPsec rules to avoid conflicts with your cluster network security

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Also note that you have to provide those settings to either smpd and hydra services or mpiexec utility itself

ArthurRatz
Black Belt

Also use hydra service rather than smpd because it provides more new features as well as improved performance.