Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Correct sourcing of enviroment variables and creation of modulefiles

Anderson__Sean
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I have installed Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 on our HPC system, and am planning on enabling it for cluster-wide use via modulefiles. I have read the relevant article on the topic, but it seems a bit outdated at this point. I have found some examples of modulefiles on Github and various HPC sites, but there is not much consistency between them either. The components that will be most accessed are the compilers, the MKL, and the MPI library and compilers.

I have a few questions that might clear this up for me:

1. What is the proper way of sourcing PSXE? Both of these seem to work:
    • source $PSXE_INSTALL/bin/compilervars.sh -arch intel64 -platform linux
    • source $PSXE_INSTALL/parallel_studio_xe_2020.0.088/bin/psxevars.sh 
  2. I would like to have modulefiles for the different components: compilers, MKL, MPI, daal, etc. What are the specific scripts that are recommended for each of these components?
  3. Is there still no official source for PSXE modulefiles? The best way I have found to generate my own is using the 'createmodule.sh' tool that comes with the environment-modules package, but I would like to clarify points 1 and 2 before doings this work.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Sean,

1) You can initialize all tools in one step using the initialization utility provided with Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020. 

<install_dir>/parallel_studio_xe_2020.<update number>.<package number>\bin\psxevars.sh

For more information refer to the Getting Started documentation of Parallel Studio.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-parallel-studio-xe

2) If you need to load the individual components you can source the specific component script.

for example :

a)Intel C Compiler/Fortran compiler

source <install_dir>/compilers_and_libraries_2020.<update number>.<package number>/linux/bin/compilervars.sh <ia32|intel64>

b)Intel MPI

source <install_dir>/compilers_and_libraries_<version>/linux/mpi/mpivars.sh

c) Intel MKL

source <install_dir>/compilers_and_libraries_<version>/linux/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh  <intel64 mod ilp64>

For more information, you can refer to the getting started guide on how to load each component.

3) Not all components have modules provided to set the environment. The C++ does not provide while for mkl the module files are provided.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl-linux-developer-guide-modulefiles-to-set-environment-variables

You can check the documentation of the component for more details.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Anderson__Sean
Beginner

Hi Prasanth,

Thanks for the info. I was able to create a set of modulefiles from the individual scripts using the 'createmodule.sh' tool that comes bundled with the Environment Module package.

Thanks again,

Sean

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Sean,

Glad to be of help.

Can we close this thread? 

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Anderson__Sean
Beginner