Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small

Brian_D_1
Beginner

I have a cluster made up of 15 nodes with 8 Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 processors per node. The cluster is running Rocks v6.2. I recently installed Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux on the cluster. Now when I try to run a parallel program through the SGE scheduler using Intel MPI I get the error

[2] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[3] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[5] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[6] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[7] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[1] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[4] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small
[0] DAPL startup: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK too small

I already tried increasing the locked memory by editing the /etc/security/limits.conf file on the frontend and adding the lines

*            hard   memlock           unlimited
*            soft    memlock           unlimited

then copying the limits.conf file to all of the compute nodes, but the error persists.The parallel program still runs despite the error.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_H_Intel1
Employee

Brian,

After editing the /etc/security/limits.conf file on each node of your cluster, did you proceed to reboot each server node?

Thank you,

-Steve

0 Kudos
Menyaylov__Nikolay

Steve H. (Intel) wrote:

Brian,

After editing the /etc/security/limits.conf file on each node of your cluster, did you proceed to reboot each server node?

Thank you,

-Steve

Hello Steve,

no reboot needed after editing limits.conf on all cluster nodes, only logoff/login on main node (where running mprirun) 

0 Kudos