Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Does MPI work for Xeon X5650, i7 2600K, i7 4790K and i7 4910MQ?

Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi,

My question is on the subject line!

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Anders,

Thanks for getting in touch.  If I can re-phrase the question: it seems you're asking if the Intel MPI Library will work with slightly older (e.g. Westmere and Sandy Bridge), desktop versions of the Intel processors.

The general answer is "yes".  Keep in mind we do most of our testing and optimizations on the server-grade versions of these.  Correspondingly, that's where you'll see the most benefit.  But, if you just have a desktop machine, Intel MPI will run just fine provided you have enough memory and resources (for those requirements, check out the Intel MPI Release Notes).

I hope this answers your question.  Let me know.

Regards,
~Gergana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Anders,

Thanks for getting in touch.  If I can re-phrase the question: it seems you're asking if the Intel MPI Library will work with slightly older (e.g. Westmere and Sandy Bridge), desktop versions of the Intel processors.

The general answer is "yes".  Keep in mind we do most of our testing and optimizations on the server-grade versions of these.  Correspondingly, that's where you'll see the most benefit.  But, if you just have a desktop machine, Intel MPI will run just fine provided you have enough memory and resources (for those requirements, check out the Intel MPI Release Notes).

I hope this answers your question.  Let me know.

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
Anders_S_1
New Contributor III

Hi Gergana,

Thanks for your answer! You just pinpointed the reason for my question by your reformulation.

Best regards

Anders S

0 Kudos