Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

Does icpx has backward compatibility for icpc

hevgo
Beginner

I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE for years, and since Intel Parallel Studio XE do not offer student license, I move to oneAPI.

I found no icpc support in oneAPI. Instead, the compiler for C++ is icpx. But when I use icpx on my old code it returns thousands of errors, (was fine with icpc).

So, does icpx has backward compatibility for icpc. or do I need to add some flags?

Hevgo.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Please try installing Intel oneAPI HPC toolkit you will get icpc inside compiler. Hope this will solve your problem.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Yes, ICPX is almost compatible with ICPC. But there are some small changes in the functionality and behavior of ICPX as compare to ICC. Please refer to the below porting guide for more details.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/porting-guide-for-icc-users-to-dpcpp-or-icx.html

Hope it will help you to resolve your issue.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
hevgo
Beginner

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I have read the website and tried using "icx" or "icpx" to replace "icpc" in my makefile. But both of them return so many errors, while the makefile returns no error with "icpc". Most of the errors make no sense including on parameter pack, expression pack, OpenMP SIMD, OpenMP nontemporal.

Is there any way that I can directly use "icpc" under OneAPI?

Bests,

Yuxuan

0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Please try installing Intel oneAPI HPC toolkit you will get icpc inside compiler. Hope this will solve your problem.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
hevgo
Beginner

Hi Abhishek,

That is really good news to me.

I have installed Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit. But when I run my makefile with "icpc" it returns the following.

icpc -g -std=c++17 -fopenmp -fopenmp-targets=spir64 -fno-alias -restrict -Wall -Wextra -wd1011 -O3 -march=native -qopt-zmm-usage=high -qopt-report=5 -qopt-report-phase=all -I./src -I./test  -o ./run ./main.cpp -D PROC_COUNT=$(grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo)

Error: Product support for your (Comp-CL) license has expired.
License file(s) used were (in this order):
** 1. /home/yuxuan/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281/linux/licenses
** 2. /opt/intel/licenses/l_RBHGGPWW.lic
** 3. /opt/intel/licenses/l_THKJBFS8.lic
** 4. /home/yuxuan/intel/licenses/l_RMPJRNBW.lic
** 5. /home/yuxuan/intel/licenses/l_THKJBFS8.lic
** 6. /home/yuxuan/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281/linux/bin/intel64/../../Licenses
** 7. /home/yuxuan/Licenses
** 8. /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses
** 9. /home/yuxuan/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281/linux/bin/intel64/*.lic

Please refer https://software.intel.com/en-us/faq/purchasing-renewing-upgrading#support-expiration for more information..

icpc: error #10052: could not checkout FLEXlm license
Makefile:10: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 1

I believe this is because my license for Intel Parallel Studio has expired. 

Is there any way to bypass this license checking, or do I need to uninstall my old Parallel Studio XE?

Thanks

Yuxuan

0 Kudos
hevgo
Beginner

NVM, It works! Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation, glad to know that your issue is resolved. We will no longer monitor this thread.

Please post a new thread if you have any issues.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos