Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Error installing Cluster Toolkit on Server 2008

allison_roth
Beginner
I'm trying to install Cluster Toolkit 3.2.1 on a fully updated Windows Server 2008, and I'm getting the error message "This program requires Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 or newer". Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be, and how I can get this program installed? Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Allison,

The new version of the Intel Cluster Toolkit 3.2.2 is now available for download. Check out the announcement. Let me know if you hit any problems still.

Regards,
~Gergana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Allison,

Hmm, that's certainly an interesting message. In fact, the Intel Cluster Toolkit only officially supports the cluster-specific versions of Windows: Microsoft* Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003* and Microsoft* Windows* HPC Server 2008. Click here for more details. Do you in fact have the HPC Server 2008 installed?

Although, installing the Intel Cluster Toolkit on a single machine should theoretically work ok in either case. Only the distributed installer is not available for XP, Vista, and Server 2003 or 2008. Could I ask a few questions?:

• When you double-click on the w_ict_p_3.2.1.015.exe executable, does the extraction process finish ok?
  • The install process should start automatically after the necessary files were extracted. Do you wait for that, or do you manually startup the installer by going to the extraction directory?
  • It would be good to know the details of your system as well (exact OS version, including service pack, etc). If you don't feel comfortable sharing that info in a public forum, feel free to e-mail me directly (my e-mail address is in the signature below - replace _at_ with @).

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
allison_roth
Beginner
Replied to via email. Thank you!

Quoting - Gergana Slavova (Intel)

Hi Allison,

Hmm, that's certainly an interesting message. In fact, the Intel Cluster Toolkit only officially supports the cluster-specific versions of Windows: Microsoft* Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003* and Microsoft* Windows* HPC Server 2008. Click here for more details. Do you in fact have the HPC Server 2008 installed?

Although, installing the Intel Cluster Toolkit on a single machine should theoretically work ok in either case. Only the distributed installer is not available for XP, Vista, and Server 2003 or 2008. Could I ask a few questions?:

• When you double-click on the w_ict_p_3.2.1.015.exe executable, does the extraction process finish ok?
  • The install process should start automatically after the necessary files were extracted. Do you wait for that, or do you manually startup the installer by going to the extraction directory?
  • It would be good to know the details of your system as well (exact OS version, including service pack, etc). If you don't feel comfortable sharing that info in a public forum, feel free to e-mail me directly (my e-mail address is in the signature below - replace _at_ with @).

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
allison_roth
Beginner
I sent an email last week about this and hadn't seen anything back yet. I thought I'd follow up here in case the email didn't make it through. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Allison,

I know we already discussed this over e-mail but I wanted to do a quick update here as well, in case others are seeing this error message.

We're aware of this problem when running the current Intel Cluster Toolkit 3.2.1 on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and Microsoft Windows 7 (neither of which is support yet). We haven't seen it on the original Server 2008 release but, if you have the latest service packs installed, you might run into it.

A fix will be included in the upcoming Intel Cluster Toolkit 3.2.2 release, to be out sometime next week. All registered users will receive a notification once the update package is available for download. I'll also make sure to post a notice on this forum as well. If you're subscribed, you'll most likely get an e-mail.

If this is an urgent issue for you and you cannot possibly, out-of-the-question, my-cluster-will-explode-if-I wait until next week, send me a note or submit an Intel Premiersupport issue and I can provide a patch.

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Allison,

The new version of the Intel Cluster Toolkit 3.2.2 is now available for download. Check out the announcement. Let me know if you hit any problems still.

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos