Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Error with Intel MPI (ld: cannot find -lmpi)

Susheel_Kumar_Sekhar
I installed Intel MPI Library and tried compiling one of the test programs that come along with it (test.f). While doing so, here's the error message that I see.

[susheel@localhost intel_mpi_test]$ /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin/mpiifort test.f
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib/libmpi.so when searching for -lmpi
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib/libmpi.a when searching for -lmpi
ld: cannot find -lmpi

I couldn't find any information regarding -lmpi. Is there something that I'm missing here?
Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee
[susheel@localhost intel_mpi_test]$ /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin/mpiifort test.f
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib/libmpi.so when searching for -lmpi

I couldn't find any information regarding -lmpi. Is there something that I'm missing here?

Hi Susheel,

First off, to answer your question, -lmpi is the Intel MPI Library. It's what you need to link with if using any MPI routines.

Do you have an Intel 64 machine (a Xeon of some type) that you're using in 64-bit mode? If yes, then the solution is simple: You're using a 32-bit version of the library, based on your path:

/opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib/libmpi.so

Instead, try the libmpi.so file from the /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib64 directory. To do so, we recommend that you source the appropriate mpivars.sh script (depending on your shell) located in the /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin64 directory.

It should go something like this:

$ source /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin64/mpivars.csh
$ which mpiifort
/opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin64/mpiifort
$ mpiifort test.f

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
~Gergana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Susheel,

First off, to answer your question, -lmpi is the Intel MPI Library. It's what you need to link with if using any MPI routines.

Do you have an Intel 64 machine (a Xeon of some type) that you're using in 64-bit mode? If yes, then the solution is simple: You're using a 32-bit version of the library, based on your path:

Instead, try the libmpi.so file from the /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/lib64 directory. To do so, we recommend that you source the appropriate mpivars.sh script (depending on your shell) located in the /opt/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/bin64 directory.

$ which mpiifort
$ mpiifort test.f

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
Susheel_Kumar_Sekhar

Hi Susheel,

$ which mpiifort
$ mpiifort test.f

Regards,
~Gergana

Thanks very much, Gergana. You're right, I am working on a 64 bit Intel machine and problem seems to have been because of the 32 bit version of the library. I have tried recompiling it with the 64 bit version and it works just fine.

Thanks again,
Susheel
0 Kudos
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee

I'm glad you have it working, Susheel. Enjoy your new library :)

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos