Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Executing MPI Exectuable on Azure Cluster

Mausolff__Zander
Beginner

Hello,

I am having difficulty running my MPI application across multiple nodes on a Windows cluster. 

Configuration

This cluster was setup with Microsoft Azure.  It is a head node and two compute nodes with a 40 Gb/s interconnect.  Each node is running Windows Server 2016 datacenter with the 2016 HPC Pack installed.

I am launching the jobs using the Job Scheduler that comes with HPC Pack.

What I have tried

So far I have done the following:

- Configured each node with the MPI Run Time Library 2019 release 6

- The hydra process manager is started on each node, confirmed to have started on each

- I have done:

mpiexec -register

and provided the same username and password for all nodes (including head)

- Setup a shared drive that contains the executable and working directory I am trying to run ( M: )

- Turned the firewall off on each node

Results

I can launch my executable successfully on each of the nodes (from the head node).  E.g. run 2 processes on a single node. 

But when I try to run 2 processes across 2 nodes the launcher hangs.  No error is reported and the job idles doing nothing.  The execution looks like:

mpiexec  -verbose  -ppn 1 -n 2 -hosts compn000,compn001 hostname M:\Test_Submit_HPC\distribution\Program.exe 

Here are the launch arguments:

[mpiexec@compn000] Launch arguments: C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy.exe --upstream-host compn000 --upstream-port 57643 --pgid 0 --launcher service --launcher-number 0 --base-path C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin/ --tree-width 16 --tree-level 1 --time-left -1 --collective-launch 1 --debug --service_port 0 --proxy-id 0 --node-id 0 --subtree-size 1 --upstream-fd 384 C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin//hydra_pmi_proxy.exe --usize -1 --auto-cleanup 1 --abort-signal 9 

I have tried putting the program executable in the same location on each nodes respective HDs but still no luck.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Zander,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

In the mpiexec  -verbose  -ppn 1 -n 2 -hosts compn000,compn001 hostname M:\Test_Submit_HPC\distribution\Program.exe command 

what does the hostname signify?

Could you provide the log info after setting environment variable  I_MPI_DEBUG=5

Thanks 

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Mausolff__Zander
Beginner

Hello Prasanth,

That 'hostname' might have been an artifact of my copying and pasting something incorrectly.

I just ran:

mpiexec  -verbose  -ppn 1 -n 2 -hosts compn000,compn001 -genv I_MPI_DEBUG=5 M:\Test_Submit_HPC\distribution\Program.exe

I believethe only output I get is from -verbose, which is:

[mpiexec@compn000] Launch arguments: C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin//hydra_bstrap_proxy.exe --upstream-host compn000 --upstream-port 59522 --pgid 0 --launcher service --launcher-number 0 --base-path C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin/ --tree-width 16 --tree-level 1 --time-left -1 --collective-launch 1 --debug --service_port 0 --proxy-id 0 --node-id 0 --subtree-size 1 --upstream-fd 368 C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\mpi\intel64\bin//hydra_pmi_proxy.exe --usize -1 --auto-cleanup 1 --abort-signal 9

Next, I ran (no -verbose):

mpiexec -genv I_MPI_DEBUG=5  -ppn 1 -n 2 -hosts compn000,compn001  M:\Test_Submit_HPC\distribution\Program.exe

and I there is no output on the command prompt or any log file in my working directory.

Thanks,

Zander

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Zander,

We are transferring your issue to the concerned team.

Please once check the installation and prerequisite steps to see if you have missed any steps. 

Thanks 

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Dunni_A_Intel

Hi Zander,

Would you please share the results of running:

mpiexec -validate -host compn000

and

mpiexec -validate -host compn001

from your head node?

Best,

Dunni

0 Kudos
Michael_Intel

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

0 Kudos