Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
1829 Discussions

Hardware Performance Counters ; Power measurement

kandalla
Beginner
Hi,
I have a 4-node Intel Nehalem cluster and a 512 core Intel Clovertown cluster. I am interested in looking for some tools to measure the power consumed by parallel applications. I know that we can use external devices to measure and log power consumption. I would like to know if someone around here has some experience with any particular tool-kit. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.
I am also interested in looking at hardware counters to measure the power consumption. Do the Nehalems or the Clovertowns support any low-level counters for such purposes with little performance overheads?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andres_M_Intel4
Employee

OnLinux environments...

Have you tried powertop? It is a really interesting tool.
It works using several features only present on recent kernels toprovide an estimate using ACPI information.

How to get the tool and a lot more information on power consumption can be found at the following link.
http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/

Hope it helps you,

-- Andres

kandalla
Beginner

OnLinux environments...

Have you tried powertop? It is a really interesting tool.
It works using several features only present on recent kernels toprovide an estimate using ACPI information.

How to get the tool and a lot more information on power consumption can be found at the following link.
http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/

Hope it helps you,

-- Andres

Hi Andres,
Thanks for the post. I think the cluster that I use uses a slightly older kernel. I will have to check with the sys-admin about it.
Reg. the hardware counters, I actually came across a few papers that used hardware counters to monitor various CPU generated events and co-related them to the power consumption models for Pentium processors. I am surprised that I am not able to find anything concrete for Nehalem's or Clovertown's considering that these architectures are much more advanced.

Thanks,
Krishna