Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

How do I configure Visual Studio for Intel MPI?

dnesteruk
Beginner

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 and IncrediBuild 5.5 to build apps using Intel Parallel Studio. I've recently downloaded Intel MPI and found that it essentially has a compiler wrapper (mpiicpc) that I need to use to compile apps (and, correspondingly, run them with mpiexec).

My question is this: how do I configure Visual Studio 2013 so that mpiicpc is used instead of icpc for compilation?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
James_T_Intel

This isn't quite the correct approach.  What you need to do is run mpiicpc -show on the command line.  This will give you the command line used when compiling/linking.  Use this to set matching Visual Studio* options.

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

Wait, that doesn’t make much sense. mmiicpc -show gives me an ICL command with the paths for includes and libraries. So is that it? Is mpiicpc actually just a helper for an include/lib pair? Surely the same question applies to running the program, as we use mpiexec instead of just running the exe.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

You're correct about the compiler.  It is simply a wrapper which recognizes some extra options.  All of them are eventually turned into a command direct to the compiler.  This allows different compilers to be used.

Now, mpirun/mpiexec is another story.  This is a launcher program which handles more than just starting the programs.  It also sets up a common communication environment across multiple nodes, setting a significant number of configuration options at runtime.  If you want to debug MPI applications in Visual Studio*, you'll need to get the Microsoft* HPC Pack Add-In.

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

Where can I find documentation on using the HPC pack with Intel MPI? I kind of thought that HPC Pack was something that only worked with Intel MPI, and on server-grade OS, too.

0 Kudos