Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

How do I get ITAC to show routine names from my code?

Victor_E_1
Beginner

By default ITAC only displays "MPI" and "APPLICATION" in the event display.

• I've set VT_PCTRACE, but that only seems to allow me to pop up a source dialog, and even that does not show a back trace so that's fairly useless.
  • I put VT_initialize/VT_finalize in my code, and create a bunch of state handles which as pass to VT_begin / VT_end.

None to any avail. What am I missing? What file should contain my routine names?

Victor.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
James_T_Intel

Did you compile with debug symbols?

0 Kudos
Victor_E_1
Beginner

Yes. This is my typical compile line:

mpicxx -O2 -g    -std=c++11 -trace -DVT -I/home1/apps/intel/itac/9.0.3.049/intel64/include -I../imp -I/work/00434/eijkhout/cppformat/cppformat  -fpermissive -I.. -c mpi_base.cxx

I'm using Intel 15.0.2

V.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

For the Intel compiler, you will also need to compile with -fno-omit-frame-pointer in order to get the call stack.

0 Kudos
Victor_E_1
Beginner

Ok, now I can see the call stack. Thanks.

1. Is there a way to have the call stack refer to function names, rather than line numbers? I have VT_funcdef calls all over my code.
  2. The even display still says "User Code", even though it lists the MPI routine name in the MPI blocks.
  3. At some point I managed to have the Event Timeline and Message Profile side by side, but right now they are vertically oriented, and I can't figure out how to get them side by side again. Any hints?

V.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

VT_funcdef is used to define a function handle.  That handle needs to be seen by the routine at the time of calling VT_begin/VT_end.  I'm attaching a simple example where I use VT_funcdef to define my functions and VT_begin/VT_end to signal the beginning and ending of each function.  Anything not labeled will end up as Application:User_Code.  To help differentiate, I also defined a separate class "myclass", but you can define your functions as part of the Application class if you want.

Try using the "Layout" option to change how the charts are arranged.

0 Kudos
Victor_E_1
Beginner

James, thanks for all the help.

1. The Layout menu only seems to allow me to put the timeline elsewhere, not the Event Timeline
  2. Your example does not user VT_initialize / VT_finalize. Not needed?
  3. I'm using VT_NOCLASS instead of having an explicit class, but that shouldn't make a difference. Other than that I think I'm doing it right. Is there any way to inspect the stf files to see if the named events wind up in there?

Victor.

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Turning on the Message Profile (empty for my example) and the Event Timeline, and turning off the Performance Assistant, when I chose Layout->Timelines to the Right, I got this.layout_0.png

If you are using MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize, the collection library will call VT_initialize and VT_finalize underneath those.  You only need to explicitly call them if you aren't using MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize.

Using VT_NOCLASS will simply put it into the Application class alongside User Code.  If you use xstftool, you can get a dump of the trace file which will include the functions.  What I did for the example code I provided

xstftool a.out.single.stf --dump | grep foo

This gives me a line showing that I defined the state foo, then a line for every time I entered it, along with the movement direction on the stack and which rank did that.

0 Kudos