Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Installing an older version of Intel Parallel Studio XE

Yocheved_G_
Beginner

Hi

I wish to install intel parallel 2015 using a 2016 named user license on our linux cluster.

Do I use the hose id of the head node so that the compiler is available on all nodes?

also I'm not a root user, would this effect the installation?

last question- I want to install the compiler on a non-default path- how should I do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Michael_Intel

Hello,

Please be aware that using the 2015 Parallel Studio with a 2016 license requires an offline- activation: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-do-i-get-a-license-file-for-an-offline-installation-of-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016

Since the home- filesystem of your cluster is most probably shared in between the different nodes, you only need to install it on one node.
However, keep in mind that since the license is node-locked, that only the runtime- tools (like IMPI) will run on any node while the analysis tools will need to be started on the node where you originally installed the tools on. Data collection for the analysis tools can be done on all of the nodes.

As you are not the root user, the limitation will be that you can only install the software in your home directory while you won't be able to install kernel modules like the sampling driver for the VTune Performance Analyzer. This however, will only slightly affect the functionality of the whole tools-suite since even VTune has fallback mechanisms to user the Linux- Kernel default Perf sampling driver.

If you want to change the installation path you can do so during the installation - just select "customize installation" before providing the final confirmation.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Yocheved_G_
Beginner

Thank you for your insights.

I tried to start the installation. I selected the third option in which

3. Run as current user to limit access to user level

and then I get missing prerequisites as you said regarding the sampling but also:

Missing optional prerequisites

-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 5 Composer Edition for C++ Linux*:
Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 5 Composer Edition for Fortran
Linux*: Unsupported OS
-- Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 5 Composer Edition for Linux*:
Unsupported OS

I was trying to install on one of the computing nodes which has centos 6.

is there any way around this?

Thanks alot!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You would need to accept the unsupported installation, even though CentOS 6 is functionally equivalent to the supported RHEL6.  The corresponding g++ installation would need to be present on each node where you install the full Intel tools.

0 Kudos
Yocheved_G_
Beginner

OK Thanks

Another question- can I have a root user do the installation but then have my user be the one who can use the compilers?

is it possible with a named user? if so how do I do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Michael_Intel

Yes that is possible, just use the license for the installation and it will be set up for the user on the same node.

0 Kudos
Yocheved_G_
Beginner
I'm not sure I completly understand- what defines which user is entitled to use the compilers? (I'm using an offline license file to install an older version)
0 Kudos
Michael_Intel

The license is technically not bound to a user login on a system. Therefore, your system administrator (root) can install the software for you.

0 Kudos
Yocheved_G_
Beginner

Thanks alot for your help!

So after the installation is completed how do I define my user name on the cluster as the only user?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble I just don't have enough experience with this

0 Kudos
Michael_Intel

No problem! Actually the license is rather locked to a machine then an explicit user. In order to enable the license only for a specific user account, please put the license file into $HOME/intel/licenses instead of the default installation path (usually /opt/intel/licenses).

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos