Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Intel MPI and Torque 3.0.2

Guillaume_De_Nayer
Hi,

on the cluster of our university we have one of the last Intel MPI (vielleicht nicht die letzte Update) and Torque 3.0.2. The cluster is running under Red Hat Santiago 6.2. Torque was compiled by the firm, which installed the cluster. But they can't tell us which options they used...

It seems that there is an interaction problem between intel MPI and our Torque:
I can start without torque this job:
[bash]mpirun -machinefile machine_file -n 1 program1 : -n 1 program2 : -n 82 program3[/bash]

I can start the following job:
[bash]#!/bin/bash #PBS -N test #PBS -l walltime=71:59:00 #PBS -q special cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR export I_MPI_FABRICS=ofa cat $PBS_NODEFILE > machine_file mpirun -machinefile ./machine_file -n 1 program1 : -n 1 program2 : -n 82 program3 [/bash]
But I can not start this job:
[bash]#!/bin/bash #PBS -N test #PBS -l walltime=71:59:00 #PBS -q special cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR export I_MPI_FABRICS=ofa mpirun -n 1 program1 : -n 1 program2 : -n 82 program3[/bash]

It's strange because on other clusters the last job starts. SO I think that we have missed an option in the Torque configuration.

Has Anyone an idea ? Or which options of Torque are you using to install it and that it works with intel MPI ?

Best regards,
Guillaume
0 Kudos
1 Solution
James_T_Intel
Hi Guillaume,

Normally, there should be no difference between the two (mpirun calls mpiexec.hydra), however version 4.0.2 of the Intel MPI Library does not correctly acquire the node list. This is corrected in the current version (4.0.3). Using mpiexec.hydra with -rmk pbs (you could try mpirun with -rmk pbs as well) works correctly.

We generally recommend using mpirun, as it checks more environment variables and sets additional flags before calling mpiexec.hydra. It can also be used to run mpiexec (using MPDs) if needed, by setting an appropriate environment variable. Basically, mpirun is more flexible. However, there are times when directly calling mpiexec.hydra is necessary.

I recommend, if possible, upgrading to the current version of the Intel MPI Library.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Cluster Tools

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
James_T_Intel
Hi Guillaume,

Inside of your batch script, check the value of the environment variable $PBS_ENVIRONMENT, it should be either PBS_BATCH or PBS_INTERACTIVE for mpirun to detect that it is running inside of PBS.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Guillaume_De_Nayer
Hi,

$PBS_ENVIRONMENT is set to PBS_BATCH.

Regards
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Guillaume,

As I recall, you are using version 4.0.2. If this is correct, please try adding the following to your script:

[bash]cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR . /intel64/bin/mpivars.sh mpiexec.hydra -rmk pbs ./a.out[/bash]
Changing to match where you have the Intel MPI Library installed and setting the mpiexec.hydra line to match your job. You can also set the I_MPI_HYDRA_RMK environment variable to pbs and you won't need to call that on the command line.

Please try this and let me know if it works. Or if you're using a different version, please let me know which one.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Guillaume_De_Nayer
With mpiexec.hydra it seems OK. With or without the mpivars.sh.

strange. Is there differences between the mpiexec.hydra and mpirun ? Which one is recommended ?

Thx for your help
Guillaume
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Guillaume,

Normally, there should be no difference between the two (mpirun calls mpiexec.hydra), however version 4.0.2 of the Intel MPI Library does not correctly acquire the node list. This is corrected in the current version (4.0.3). Using mpiexec.hydra with -rmk pbs (you could try mpirun with -rmk pbs as well) works correctly.

We generally recommend using mpirun, as it checks more environment variables and sets additional flags before calling mpiexec.hydra. It can also be used to run mpiexec (using MPDs) if needed, by setting an appropriate environment variable. Basically, mpirun is more flexible. However, there are times when directly calling mpiexec.hydra is necessary.

I recommend, if possible, upgrading to the current version of the Intel MPI Library.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Intel Cluster Tools
0 Kudos