Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2161 Discussions

Intel MPI with Distributed Ansys Mechanical

cai__guodong
Beginner

Did anyone can share a successful story of running distributed Ansys (Mechanical) with intel MPI in windows 10 between two pcs?

A long story to short, I could launch a distributed analysis in a single pc with intel mpi, but couldn't launch a distributed analysis between two pcs, but IBM mpi does.

Here are what I did so far (and wish I can get guides from you)

Hardware: Two Dell workstations, same cpu, ram, and everything.

Intel mpi library: 2017 update 3

After installing Intel mpi library and finishing setting up environmental varies and catch password on each machine, I did a test "mpiexec -n 4 -ppn 2 -machine machines.txt test" , and get the following feedback which indicates intel mpi is communicated successfully between two pcs.

Hello world: rank 0 of 4 running on node1
Hello world: rank 1 of 4 running on node2
Hello world: rank 2 of 4 running on node1
Hello world: rank 3 of 4 running on node2

Did the same test on each pc with the command "ansys192 -np 2 -mpitest", and both pcs show "MPI Test has completed successfully!"

However, when I run the distributed test "ansys192 -machine machines.txt -mpitest", it looks like Ansys still takes the test as a single pc test, as the info shown below:

Mechanical APDL execution Command: mpiexec -np 2 -genvlist ANS_USER_PATH,ANSWAIT,ANSYS_SYSDIR,ANSYS_SYSDIR32,ANSYS192_DIR,ANSYSLI_RESERVE_ID,ANSYSLI_USAGE,AWP_LOCALE192,AWP_ROOT192,CADOE_DOCDIR192,CADOE_LIBDIR192,LSTC_LICENSE,P_SCHEMA,PATH,I_MPI_COLL_INTRANODE,I_MPI_AUTH_METHOD  -localroot "C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\v192\ANSYS\bin\winx64\MPITESTINTELMPI.EXE"   -machine machines.txt -mpitest

I appreciate all your feedback, Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anatoliy_R_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Could you try to set I_MPI_HYDRA_HOST_FILE=machines.txt and I_MPI_PERHOST=1 environment variables? It should help you to run processes on several nodes.

0 Kudos