Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Introductions

Vikram_C_Intel
Employee
Hello, my name is Vikram. I work with Itanium Processor Family of products with special interest in applying these processors to the HPC world. I like to see how different HPC codes map in to the architectural components of a HPC system. My main interests are in the field of mathematical modeling and simulation, current interestsinclude the field of Bioinformatics.
I live in Nothern California and like the outdoors a lot. I like to watch National Geographic during my spare time.
Welcome to the HPC discussion forum.

Message Edited by VikramC on 06-21-2004 10:06 AM

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Roger_H_Intel
Employee

And I am Roger. I am Strategist within Intel Developer Services. With the guidance of a lot of brilliant people, I built the HPC Developer Center, and am really looking forward to the lauch and learnings to come from this forum.

My interests lie in sailing, diving and cooking - some say the latter is a missed vocation!

Let me add my welcome to the HPC community.

Message Edited by Roger_H on 06-21-2004 07:57 PM

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I'm Gordon, the Debugger Consultant for Intel's Software Products Division. I'm responsible for enabling and promoting effective debugging on Intel platforms in general, and with the Intel Debugger in particular.

My current focus is on creating a repository of Best Known Methods for debugging serial, thread parallel and cluster parallel applications.

My interests lie in family activities and learning how to read and play music (on acoustic bass guitar).

Welcome!
0 Kudos
muhunal
Beginner
Hello
My name is Muhammet. I am a Phd student and research assistant in Gazi University, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department, Ankara, TURKIYE. I built a small HPC system in my department for my needs(especially for my curiosity). It is an experimental system and can make 24 Gflops, costed 10.000$. It has special abilities for testing puposes, a dual gigabit and megabit network, homogenious environment,CPU's has no multiplier lock so I am able totest different speeds and create heterogenious envirnment, has ata raid systems,and so on.
My interests are climbing, cooking (especially pastry), and nowadays HPC architectures.
Welcome! :)
0 Kudos
Richard_L_Intel
Employee

Hi, my name is Richard Libby. My job title is Technical Marketing Engineer. Before you ask, "what is that?", let me explain. My job is to be a direct interface between customers, management and engineering as it relates to commodity-based supercomputing (if you want to call HPC that). So, if you have feedback or suggestions for HPC in general, please indulge me with them.

Best to you,

Richard Libby

0 Kudos
Henry_G_Intel
Employee
Hello. My name is Henry Gabb. I work at the Intel Parallel Applications Center in Champaign, Illinois. The PAC is part of the Intel Parallel and Distributed Solutions Division. The PAC staff are well-versed in the dominant parallel programming methods plus some of the more arcane methods.
I've been doing high-performance computing for over ten years. Before joining Intel I was Director of Scientific Computing at ERDC MSRC, a Department of Defense HPC center. At the time, ERDC MSRC had a Cray C90 (8 processors), a Cray T3E (333 processors), an IBM SP2 (256 processors), and an SGI Origin 2000 (128 processors). At the time, this was a powerful HPC site (roughly 1.5 TFLOPS). Today, individual clusters routinely achievethis level ofperformance.

Personal interests include beer, insanely hot food, and computer games. I like playing Mahjong, Shogi, and Go even though I'm not good at any of them. I like to travel. I did my postdoctoral researchin France (two years atl'Institut de Biologie et Physico-Chimiquein Paris). After that Imoved to England(two years at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund in London). I also received my first formal training in parallel computing at the EMBL in Heidelberg.

Best regards,
Henry
0 Kudos
iamignorant
Beginner
This is Charles Huang, HPC Sales Engineerfrom Atipa Technologies in Lawrence, Kansas. During my Ph.D years at school, I was trained as a computational scientist and was involed in the parallel software development.
I had built/sold serveral Enterprise Linux Clusters for government agencies and research institutes.
Like to meet new friends here.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello, my name is Rocky McGaugh. I lead up the tech side at TeamHPC and have been involved in the design and integration of 100's of clusters. I am especially fond of CentOS and Myrinet.
It will be a pleasure to participate in these forums.
0 Kudos
mario__Intel_
Beginner
Hi,
my name is Mario Deilmann. I'm working in the technical marketing and support group for the Intel Cluster Tools. I was working on parallel software tools for about 3 years within a german parallel software company (Pallas).
Before that I was working at the Universityon different parallel CFD codes. I spentmore or less4 year dealing with Direct Numerical Simulation of reative fluids where I made my PhD.
Hobbies are literature and my old SGI computers.
Cheers
-- Mario
0 Kudos
Enrique_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, my name is Enrique Castro-Leon. I was trained as a Software Engineer andComputational Scientistin Electrical Power Systems modeling and simulation, and was the lead developer and designerfor the ProSolver parallel math libraries running on the Intel Paragon Supercomputer a decade ago. My current role is that of an architect, consultantand technology strategist for Enterprise Architecture at Intel Solution Services. I am interested in broadening the appeal of HPC to also encompass enterprise applications.
I live in sunny Oregon, USA. My main interests outside work are classical piano (I find the potential for 10-fold parallelism in the instrument particularly fascinating) andhelping bring upnew generations of professionals.
Sincerely,
-- Enrique.
0 Kudos
kerry_main
Beginner
Hello,
I am a Solutions Architect within HP's Consulting Services organization based in Ottawa, Canada.
While I have no doubt that scale up solutions will continue to have a place in the future for some workloads and environments, more and more I am seeing that scale out solutions will play a bigger role in addressing future business requirements. This is especially true if one considers the emerging trends of "virtual" or "utility" computing.
Hence, my interest in learning more about HPC and cluster solutions in general. Of particular interest is Itanium blade servers and the potential these have in the future.
0 Kudos
brucellino
Beginner
Hi
My name is Bruce Becker. I came to HPC the long way, via nuclear physics. I'm currently working on my Ph.D in Cape Town in the UCT-CERN Research Centre. I Ph.D. topic is the development of a trigger system for the largest heavy ion collider experiment in the world - ALICE. I am interested in parallelising analysis packages for the experiment and integrating our OSCAR-built cluster into the ALICE Environment (AliEn), which the experiment's computing grid.

I like the mountains, the sea, live music and mirto.
0 Kudos
laurenceliew
Beginner
Hi,

I am Laurence. I work for Scalable Systems - a small company in Singapore providing commercial Linux clusters solutions for customers.

We are a co-developer of NPACI Rocks since 2001 and continue to this date with 7 developers working on the Rocks core and a GUI-based Rocks cluster management software - Rocks Console.

My interest in HPC dates back to 1997 when I was working on a large data-mining project and was looking to accelerate my search times. Linux Beowulf Clusters became an interest and passion.. and hence Scalable later on in life...

My interest outside of HPC/Rocks is in yoga and food... and if any of you happens to drop by sunny Singapore... we can go hunt for some nice spicy singapore food!

Cheers!
0 Kudos
udhay_ece
Beginner
Hi Everyone!
My name is Udhay working for Sanyo LSI India. I am a Design and Development Engineer in the area of DSP/Multimedia executing projects related to Audio and Video processing. I am very much interested in HPC as it is the case of most people new to this field. Since I am pretty new to HPC Iexpect to find a great deal of information and hope to benefit from them. I welcome all the newcomers to HPC, the next generation computing.
Udhay.
0 Kudos
tferoli
Beginner
Hello all. My name is Thomas Feroli, I am21years old and aMeteorology-Physics major at the University of Maryland. Would like to eventually have a very powerful,steadystate machine to run nonlinear computational models. What I have for now isa 5 computer rocks 3.3.0 cluster. I keep itunder my bed, its kinda noisey.
I like calculus, differential equations are really wonderful. Im looking forward to being able to get this cluster to do more then just turn on ;) Maybe one day..
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Welcome Thomas. My name is Tom Lehmann and I'm part of the High Performance Computing programs office here at Intel. You mentioned you are using a cluster installed with NPACI Rocks 3.3.0. What kind of hardware do you have as a base?
By the way, I understand the noise issue, I have several small clusters in my office and if I'm foolish enough to get two of them running I can't hear myself think. Have you tried a bit of sound absorbing foam?
If you have any questions, please ask.
0 Kudos
tom_624
Beginner
Hello all, this is a little weird considering the last two posts but my name is Tom and I hail from the DC area. I work for a large government contracting company that deals with HPC. My question is what would one be able to expect as far as residual value for HPC technology over time? Say that a system costs on average from $10 million to $40 million, what would be the future value of these systems over the next, say, 1-5 years? I realize the answer is complex because of the introduction of new technologies and the update path that can be taken from deployed systems but I am hoping to be able to narrow it down to a reasonable percentage that can be quantified.
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Tom
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I suppose the resale value would be somewhat less than a new system of the same performance would cost, but the value of an installed working system continuing to do useful work may not drop so fast. For a first crack, look up some of the new system price and performance trends. Much of the HPC market value is more closely tied to performance than it is for other computer systems.
0 Kudos