Intel® HPC Toolkit
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPD without console

vaibhav4947
Beginner
Dear All ,
My question regarding the mpd daemon .Why require more than one mpd on single node and when we start mpd using mpdboot which " -1" commnad line option it start mpd whitout console on other node except host node . Can anybody explain this behaviour.
Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gergana_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - vaibhav4947
Dear All ,
My question regarding the mpd daemon .Why require more than one mpd on single node and when we start mpd using mpdboot which " -1" commnad line option it start mpd whitout console on other node except host node . Can anybody explain this behaviour.
Thanks in advance

Hello vaibhav4947,

Thanks for posting to the Intel HPC forums and welcome!

To answer your question: the Intel MPI Library does not require that you start more than one mpd on a single node. In fact, we generally recommend that only on MPD daemon is startedper node (which is the default for the mpdboot command). If you need to start 2 MPI jobs on the same node (which would require you to start more than one mpd per node), we recommend that you use the mpirun command instead. More details on mpirun are available in the "Simplified Job Startup Command" section of the Intel MPI Library Reference Manual.

I'm not sure I fully understood your issue with the "-1" flag. Could you provide more details? If you feel this is a bug with the Intel MPI Library, feel free to submit an issue at the Intel Premier Support Website.

Regards,
~Gergana

0 Kudos
vaibhav4947
Beginner
Quoting - vaibhav4947
Dear All ,
Thanks in advance

Hello vaibhav4947,

Thanks for posting to the Intel HPC forums and welcome!

To answer your question: the Intel MPI Library does not require that you start more than one mpd on a single node. In fact, we generally recommend that only on MPD daemon is started per node (which is the default for the mpdboot command). If you need to start 2 MPI jobs on the same node (which would require you to start more than one mpd per node), we recommend that you use the mpirun command instead. More details on mpirun are available in the "Simplified Job Startup Command" section of the Intel MPI Library Reference Manual.

I'm not sure I fully understood your issue with the "-1" flag. Could you provide more details? If you feel this is a bug with the Intel MPI Library, feel free to submit an issue at the Intel Premier Support Website.

Regards,
~Gergana

Thanks you .
Regarding "-1" option of the mpdboot command when we start mpdboot with "-1" option it start more than one mpd on node and does not create any console on that node except the host node where we execute the mpdboot command i not understand such behaviour . I do some debugging i found that mpdboot pass "--noconsole" option to mpd.py beacuse of that i cannot do the mpdtrace and mpdlistjob on node except host node .I think this not the bug because mpd implementation is not of intel. I change the some code of the mpdboot and create one console on every node when we start mpd using mpdboot with "-1".I check it's working fine and i am able to do mpdtrace and mpdlist job from any node where i start mpds.

thank you

0 Kudos