Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPI_Barrier using 100% CPU

italo1337
Beginner

In my code, I put all ranks > 0 in a MPI_Barrier while rank 0 does some processing. But while on the barrier, the processes are consuming 100% of the processor.

Below is a sample code. Rank zero consumes 0% while on scanf but all other ranks consume 100% while on the barrier.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {

int rank;
int dummy;

MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);

MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);

printf("MPI rank %i reporting in.\n", rank);

if ( rank == 0 ) {

printf("waiting for input\n");

scanf("%i", &dummy);

printf("ok\n");

MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD);

} else {

MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD);

}

return 0;

0 Kudos
7 Replies
James_T_Intel
Hi italo, If you set I_MPI_WAIT_MODE=1, this will cause the processes to wait at MPI_Barrier instead of constantly polling. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
italo1337
Beginner
It worked. Thank you.
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi italo, Good. Please feel free to contact us again for any future concerns. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
italo1337
Beginner
My code is still not working as I want. My code uses both OpenMP and MPI. I want to do this: - Start up the code. Put all ranks >0 on barrier and rank 0 stars to work. - While all other ranks are on the barrier, rank 0 uses multiple OpenMP threads. - Rank 0 finshes its job, reaches the barrier and all ranks start to work. Each rank uses one thread. - Work finishes. Ranks >0 loop back to the barrier and rank 0 does more work with OpenMP. The problem is rank 0 will only launch one OpemMP thread. I then omp_set_num_threads(8) on rank 0. It launches 8 threads, but they are confined to one processor. So, basically, I want rank 0 to be able to use all 8 processors with OpenMP while the other ranks are on the barrier. Is it possible?
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi italo, How are you determining where the processes are pinned? Set I_MPI_DEBUG=4 to verify the pinning set for each rank. You can use I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN to specify which cores are available to which ranks. I would recommend looking through the documentation for this environment variable (found in the Reference Manual) and choosing the appropriate settings for your system. If you want some advice on this, let me know your system's CPU configuration and how you want the ranks and threads pinned and I can offer assistance. Make certain you are using the multithreaded MPI library. Use the option -mt_mpi with your MPI compiler script to link to the correct library. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
italo1337
Beginner
I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN=omp That's what I was looking for. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Glad to help!
0 Kudos