Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPI error based on host order

Greg_G_
Beginner

I'm setting up new MPI environment with two windows 8 pc. 

Running the command below in ether order works on both machines.

mpiexec -n 1 -host machine1 hostname : -n 1 -host machine2 hostname

Then running the next command below works depending on the order. test.exe is in a newly created folder on the C drive of each machine.

mpiexec -n 1 -host machine1 test.exe : -n 1 -host machine2 test.exe

When listing machine1 first and machine2 second and running the command works on either machine. Then when the hosts list is reversed the command fails on on both machines with the following error.

1234321.PNG

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Greg,

As far as I see for some reasons there're the following IP addresses detected for your nodes:

Core 192.168.56.1

Eths 192.168.200.2

Are they from the same network? If no could you please try to run your scenarios with the IP addresses specified instead of the hostnames (use the IP addresses from the same subnet).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Greg,

Could you please check the firewall status for both nodes? If it's enabled, try to disable it or add the appropriate permissions for MPI executables.

0 Kudos
Greg_G_
Beginner

Hello Artem, 

Thanks for the reply. I have added port exceptions and application exceptions to both computers firewall. But as a test I also tried disabling both computers firewalls and the behavior was not changed. 

Seems strange the command can be run from either computer for a given host ordering. Then creates an error from both for the opposite order. 

-Greg

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Greg,

Which version of Intel MPI Library do you use ('mpiexec -V')?

Could you please try to run your scenarios (both ones: successful and failed) with the following environment variables and provide the output:

set I_MPI_DEBUG=6

set I_MPI_HYDRA_DEBUG=on

0 Kudos
Greg_G_
Beginner

I copied the results from the cmd window. Seems my window has a limit to how much is kept in the scrollable part. If there is anything missing let me know. I tried to edit the comment to include the command I used but the links started multiplying each other.

works: mpiexec -n 2 -ppn 1 -hosts machine1,machine2 test.exe
crashes: mpiexec -n 2 -ppn 1 -hosts machine2,machine1 test.exe
0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Greg,

As far as I see for some reasons there're the following IP addresses detected for your nodes:

Core 192.168.56.1

Eths 192.168.200.2

Are they from the same network? If no could you please try to run your scenarios with the IP addresses specified instead of the hostnames (use the IP addresses from the same subnet).

0 Kudos
Greg_G_
Beginner

Thanks, you found the issue. 
They are both on the same network but one of the computers had a VirtualBox installed on them giving them two IP addresses (another user installed it). 
Entering the main IP instead of the host names worked. 

0 Kudos