Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

MPICH on SLES 9

lukeszymanski
Beginner
I am tring to set up MPICH 1.2.6 on SLES 9 on itanium but I get an error during the configure script regarding the fortran compiler. Here is the info from the intel site on the fortran 8.0 compiler:

On Itanium architecture, Linux systems with glibc 2.2.4, 2.2.5 and 2.3.2 and kernel 2.4 are supported

SLES 9 has glibc version 2.3.3 and kernel 2.6. I could go back to SLES 8 but I really don't want to. Has anyone else run into this and if so, how did you get around it ?

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
From Release Notes for current compiler posted at premier.intel.com
(8.1.018):

Linux system with glibc 2.2.4, 2.2.5 or 2.3.2 and the 2.4.X or 2.6.X Linux kernel as represented by the following distributions. Note: Not all distributions listed are validated and not all distributions are listed.
Red Hat Linux 7.2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 2.1, AS 3, WS 3
SUSE Linux Professional* 9.1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8, 9
United Linux* 1.0

Given that SLES9 is listed as supported, you are certainly entitled to file a problem report if this compiler gives trouble.
0 Kudos
ClayB
New Contributor I
Luke -
What errror are you seeing during the MPICH configuration about the Fortran compiler?
--clay
0 Kudos
lukeszymanski
Beginner

Clay:

This is from the config.log file of mpich 1.2.5.2 on SLES 9

/opt/intel_fc_80/lib/libifcoremt.a(tbk_linux.o)(.text+0xf2): In function `tbk_stack_trace':

: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

/usr/lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o)(.text+0x10): In function `dlsym':

/usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.3/dlfcn/dlsym.c:47: undefined reference to `_dl_load_lock'

/usr/lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o)(.text+0x21):/usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.3/dlfcn/dlsym.c:47: undefined reference to `_dl_load_lock'

/usr/lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o)(.text+0xb1):/usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.3/dlfcn/dlsym.c:58: undefined reference to `_dl_load_lock'

/usr/lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o)(.text+0xc0):/usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.3/dlfcn/dlsym.c:58: undefined reference to `_dl_load_lock'

/usr/lib/libdl.a(dlerror.o)(.text+0x3e2): In function `_dlerror_run':

/usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.3/dlfcn/dlerror.c:106: undefined reference to `_dl_catch_error'

ifort -o conftest conftest.f conftest1.o

Error linking

program main

end

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I have seen a similar error, caused by the compiler failing to pass -ldl as an option to ld. More recent compilers add that option automatically, but you could append it to your link options.
0 Kudos
lukeszymanski
Beginner
Thanks for the tip, it helped on RHEL3. Have not tried it on SLES 9 yet.
0 Kudos