Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2161 Discussions

Mapping and pinning MPI tasks and OpenMP threads

cristmoltisanti
Beginner

I am very confused with the Intel MPI and OpenMP mapping and I was hopping someone could help me to understand. I'll describe my problem with an example.

I want to run an application (LAMMPS) which uses MPI and OpenMP.  The way that OpenMP is used here is via SMT and through the LAMMPS Intel package. The target architecture (compute node) is a 2x socket, 32 core x  socket, 2 SMT x core AMD chips.

* Full node (64 MPI tasks, 2 OMP threads)

export OMP_NUM_THREAD=2
mpirun -np 64 -pk intel 0 omp 2 -sf intel ./lmp 

I think the above is correct, but how can I achieve the following:

* Half node ( split into 2 sockets, 16 each)

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=2
mpirun -np 32 -pk intel 0 omp 2 -sf intel ...

* Half node (all in 1 socket)

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=2
mpirun -np 32 -pk intel 0 omp 2 -sf intel ./lmp 

I have been playing with the following variables, but I have not yet been able to do it:

I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN
I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_EXCLUDE_LIST
I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST
KMP_AFFINITY

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Micheal,

I am sorry for the late reply.

As you have mentioned that you wanted to distribute the MPI ranks based on sockets.

As per your two use cases :

I) Half node ( split into 2 sockets, 16 each)

In this case, as you want to distribute 16 ranks on each socket by launching a total of 32 ranks. There is no need to do pinning as this the default behavior.

2)Half node (all in 1 socket)

To launch all threads in a single socket try this command

I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN=socket:compact I_MPI_DEBUG=10 OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 mpirun -n 32 -ppn 2 ./a.out

For more information on how to use I_MPI_PIN_DOMAIN, please refer (Interoperability with OpenMP* API (intel.com))

Let us know if you face problems.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Micheal,

We haven't heard back from you.

Let us if the given command satisfies your pinning requirements?

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Micheal,

We are closing this thread assuming your issue has been resolved. We will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos