Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2159 Discussions

Memory Leak detected by Inspector XE in MPI internal buffer

burnesrr
Beginner

I am interested in finding out if there is a way to configure Intel's MPI libraries to alter what the threshold is for the creation of internal buffers so I can verify the source of a memory leak detected by Inspector XE.

Please refer to my post in Intel's Inspector XE forum, which includes a simple Fortran program that demonstrates the issue:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/508656

It appears once an MPI operation is sending or receiving more than 64K of information an internal buffer may be created and Inspector is reporting a memory leak when that happens. I am hoping there is a way to configure the MPI libraries to alter the behavior of the creation and destruction of internal buffers so I can confirm the source of the reported memory leak.

I am hoping someone here in the MPI forums has a suggestion of a way to do this. Even reducing the size of the data transfer that triggers the generation of internal buffers would be helpful.

I am reluctant to just write this off and tell Inspector XE to ignore this reported memory leak until I can confirm it is related to the generation/destruction of internal buffers.

Sincerely,

Rick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
James_T_Intel

Hi Rick,

What version of the Intel® MPI Library and Intel® Inspector XE are you using?  What is the output from

[plain]env | grep I_MPI[/plain]

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel® Cluster Tools

0 Kudos
burnesrr
Beginner

Hi James,

The version is 4.0.1.007.

[rick@RainierLinux ~]$ env|grep I_MPI
I_MPI_ROOT=/opt/intel/impi/4.0.1.007