Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2153 Discussions

OneAPi Basic toolkit installation problems

TonyRichards
Novice

Hi,

I want to install the free Fortran OneAPI compiler. To do this I need to install the OneAPI basic toolkit first, before I can try and install the OneHPC toolkit which actually contains the Fortran compiler, apparently. I selected Local installation.

My first attempt to install the OneAPI Basic Toolkit foundered because the installer found that my VS Community 2015 (updated to 2019) was lacking some C++ Desktop development stuff, and told me it would not therefore work. So I eventually found how to modify the VS installation to include what was missing.

My next attempt at installing the OneAPI basic toolkit started off well (it got past the desktop-stuff-missing warning ok), although slowly. I noted that there are 14 elements to be installed, a daunting number.  Eventually, the first one, the Vtune profiler completed and the install moved on to the Thread Building blocks. There are apparently 43 elements to be installed in this one package! Unfortunately, the installer has now been churning away fruitlessly for a couple of hours while apparently stuck at number 10 and the progress bar remains stuck at 23%.

Unhappily, there is no guidance from the installer, other than the progress bar, as to what is happening or why the delay or what might be the problem, or solution.

Any advice? Help!

Regards Tony Richards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Tony, it has been needlessly confusing.

The base kit is not needed at all unless you want one or more of its components, such as MKL. Even then, you can install the HPC kit first, and then add additional components from the "base kit". 

An analogy would be to think of the HPC kit as a house that is held up by helium balloons, with the Base kit serving as an optional added-on concrete doormat.

0 Kudos
TonyRichards
Novice

Hi,

Thank you for your hopeful reply. I agree that Intel offers misleading information stating that the Basic kit is needed by the HPC kit if what you say is true. Also, even if I succeed in installing the HPC kit (fingers crossed), my experience with the Basic kit install is that one is not offered to pick and choose from a menu of 14 items - it starts at number one and proceeds as if the whole lot is necessary, even though I may not need it all in my projects.

My immediate task is to use the cancel button to halt installation of the OneAPI Basic kit. The omens are not good, at is still thinking about it apparently, the progress bar and rotating egg timer next to the thread building block install persisting!

Here's hoping...

thanks

Tony Richards

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I rarely use the "local installer" since it includes everything and is a huge download.

I had installed VS2019 previously, including the components for desktop C++ development.

I then chose to use the "online installer", which downloads only the portions that you choose and their dependencies. I installed the HPC toolkit first. Then, I installed the Base toolkit, choosing only MKL.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

oneAPI does take a long time to install - the final step says 5 minutes, settle down for one to two hours -

the other interesting problem is Intel has renamed the psxesetvars batch to setvars.bat and moved the location. 

It also does not show up on the oneapi html file that pops up at the end of install - it took a while to find the correct documentation

------------------------------------------------------------

The setvars batch file inserts DLL directories used by the compiler and libraries at the beginning of the existing Path. Because these directories appear first, they are searched before any directories that were part of the original Path provided by Windows (and other applications). This is especially important if the original Path includes directories with files that have the same names as those added by the compiler and libraries.

The setvars batch file takes multiple optional arguments; the following two arguments are recognized for compiler and library initialization:

<install-dir>\setvars.bat [<arg1>] [<arg2>]

Where <arg1> is optional and can be one of the following:

• intel64: Generate code and use libraries for Intel® 64 architecture (host and target).
  • ia32: Generate code and use libraries for IA-32 architecture (host and target).

The <arg2> is optional. If specified, it is one of the following:

• vs2019: Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019
  • vs2017: Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

NOTE

If <arg1> is not specified, the script uses the intel64 argument by default. If <arg2> is not specified, the script uses the highest installed version of Microsoft Visual Studio detected during the installation procedure.
0 Kudos
TonyRichards
Novice

Thanks for your input, which gives me hope that I may eventually get through what at the moment seem annoyingly basic problems which the Intel install fails to give the slightest clues about.

I have just given up trying a local offline install of the HPC toolkit. It had failed miserably by stopping at 20% completion (step 8 of 40) of the first of the elements to be installed. It has churned away for several hours and failed to advance the install by even 1%. This remarkably similar to the 23% fail when I tried to do a local install of the the Base Toolit! It is very frustrating that the Install window fails to give the slightest clue as to what is going on underneath (a text box showing log file progress, if any would be appreciated, plus some indication of exactly where the log data is being sent, Intel! A rotating egg-timer is pretty pathetic and unhelpful IMO)

The program seems to be unable to spot that it is spinning its wheels, or chasing its tail, or going round in circles, meanwhile wasting hours of time. I have clicked the 'Cancel'button and confirmed that I want to end the install which, apparently '..will now be reverted'. Well, the install window is showing exactly the same content as before the Cancel was sent, so no info on what's happening there either. I suspect it will fail to exit and I will have to do a restart in the  hope that the failure to terminate the install in the formal way will not have screwed everything up for later installs.

This is all very disappointing, as I cannot believe that my particular Windows 10/VS 2019 installation could be particularly difficult to deal with, since the Intel XE Composer installed fine before, I just cant use it because my license has lapsed and can't be renewed.

I attach the only installer log files I could find (no thanks to the Installer!) for the earlier failed Basic toolkit install and the most recent attempt at installing the HPC toolkit.  The logs seem only to detail the extraction and setting up of the Installer code before the start of the actual install, so not much use as a guide to the actual install progress. Is there a hidden log file showing that somewhere?

The next thing I am resigned to trying is an online install as you suggest. I hope I wont have to do a system restore beforehand, but am prepared to do so.

regards

Tony Richards

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I would suggest you install everything, you appear to have only selected some of the components. 

0 Kudos