Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2154 Discussions

OpenMP target data to intel GPU segmentation fault when array too large

Sylvain
Beginner

Hello,

When testing offload computation to intel GPU with OpenMP, I obtain a segmentation fault at execution with this code :

int main()
{
    const int N=350000;

double a;
    double b;
    double c;
//    double *a = new double;
//    double *b = new double;
//    double *c = new double;

for (int i=0; i<N; i++) {
        a = i;
        b = 1./i;
    }

#pragma omp target data map(to:a,b) map(from:c)
//    #pragma omp target data map(to:a[0:N],b[0:N]) map(from:c[0:N])
    {
    #pragma omp target teams distribute parallel for simd
        c = a+b;
    }
    }

//    delete[] a;
//    delete[] b;
//    delete[] c;

return 0;
}

The error does not happen if I take N=300000 or if I use pointers instead of arrays (use of commented lines). With pointers it works even with N=100000000 (not tested above).

When looking with gdb, segmentation fault happens at line 12, but I cannot access exact value i, even with -O0.

My configuration :

•     Gentoo Linux
  •     CPU i5-7300U with HD Graphics 620
  •     oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2021.1 beta06
  •     neo-20.16.16582
  •     intel-graphics-compiler-1.0.3826
  •     level-zero-0.91.10
  •     I used "-qnextgen -fiopenmp -fopenmp-targets=spir64" for compilation

Thanks,

Sylvain

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Sylvain,

We tried the code given by you and it is not giving segfault if I take N=300000. But we observe segfault if we take N>500000, and it is oblivious as it is exceeding maximum stack size for us. Whereas for the pointer (commented part of your code) it will work without segfault for N=100000000 as it is using heap instead of the stack.

If you want to check the stack size you can use ulimit -a command and you will get the reason for segfault.

If you use gdb you will definitely get a segfault on line 12(of your code) but if you try something like below code snippet :

const int N=600000;

double a;
    double b;
//    double c;

a = i;
        b = 1./i;
    }

std::cout<<"here\n";
    double c;

In the above case, we will see that you will get segfault after "std::cout" as stack size is exceeding after std::cout statement.

So if you have a requirement of large size array then we will recommend you use dynamic memory allocation instead of using stack.

I hope this helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Sylvain,

We tried the code given by you and it is not giving segfault if I take N=300000. But we observe segfault if we take N>500000, and it is oblivious as it is exceeding maximum stack size for us. Whereas for the pointer (commented part of your code) it will work without segfault for N=100000000 as it is using heap instead of the stack.

If you want to check the stack size you can use ulimit -a command and you will get the reason for segfault.

If you use gdb you will definitely get a segfault on line 12(of your code) but if you try something like below code snippet :

const int N=600000;

double a;
    double b;
//    double c;

a = i;
        b = 1./i;
    }

std::cout<<"here\n";
    double c;

In the above case, we will see that you will get segfault after "std::cout" as stack size is exceeding after std::cout statement.

So if you have a requirement of large size array then we will recommend you use dynamic memory allocation instead of using stack.

I hope this helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Sylvain
Beginner
Thank you for your answer, I understand it is a limitation of the system. I am learning new things. Nothing to do with GPU computing and oneAPI HPC Toolkit then. Best regards, Sylvain
0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Sylvain,

Please confirm if your issue has been resolved so that we can close the thread.

You can always post a new thread if you face any issue.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Sylvain
Beginner
Yes, it solves the problem, thank you
0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Thank you Sylvain for the conformation we are closing this thread.

You can always post a new thread if you face any issue.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos